Sign in to follow this  
Recency

Cpu Fan

Hello to All:

I am having trouble deciding what direction the fan on my CPU should blow. I now have the fan blowing away from the heat sink but not sure if thats the correct way. Does anyone know what is the best way to place the fan on the CPU? Should the air from the fan blow on the CPU or should air blow the heat away from the CPU and heat sink?

I would have it blowing towards the cpu so that it's also blowing air on the memory and pwmic.

I did this test on a AthlonXP some years ago.

I dont remember the temps, but the processor was like 13 degrees cooler by having the air pushed onto the heatsink instead of away.

I think TomsHardware guide did a similar test and found the same. It is due to the increased air pressure and density in the Push configuration,

in the Pull configuration the fan will lower air pressure/density over the processor and therefore there will be less air to carry the heat away.

Thanks to all for the advice. I will reverse the fan so it blows on the fins. Sometimes my computer stutters when playing games and I think that is the reason why. In other words there is not enough air to cool the cpu or carry the heat away. At first I thought that stutter might be a graphic card problem until I upgraded to7900gt card and I think this new card is to strong and powerful to cause the stutters in the games. In other words the CPU calculation are slowing so therefore causing the games to stutter. Again thanks for the advice.