Sign in to follow this  
mrzeld

? about modding my desk...

ok, so i am making some updates to my Stacker case (pics to come when i am finished). i put the CM windowed side panel on the stacker. to see in it, i had to cut a hole in my desk. the desk is made from 1/2" particle board. what can i put around the hole to give it a nice finish. the hold now is fairly straight, but a nice "lip" of some kind would look better. any ideas? where and what to buy something like this?

(click image for larger version)

desks.jpg

I dunno what you call it in the USA, but we've got dowelling in this country which is available in lots of different wood types, designs and sizes.

You could also buy something similar to a carpet thing (you know, they metal thing you put down between two rooms to join two carpets?), you can get that in silver/gold/wood, that might look good :)

Tell me if I'm talking complete rubbish, don't know how different things are over there :P

yeah, those are posibilities. but i was thinking of something more like a rubber/plastic "gasket" (for lack of a better term) that is C-shaped in profile that could just slip over the edge. like the rubber gaskets you get with the do-it-yourself window mod kits for computer cases.

You could get a roll of veneer (should come in thin 1/2-3/4" strips at Lowes/Home Depot) but you'd have to clean up the cut a bit.

Yes, I was thinking of veneer myself. But if you like the rubber, perhaps the easiest thing would be to buy some black rubber tubing cloe to 1/2" ID. Then you could just slit it down one side and slide it over the edge of the wood. The only other thing I could think of would be vinyl base moulding or something like it. Again, at your local home improvement store, by the ceramic and vinyl flooring.

I did a mod to my desk a while back. I cut a small 7" x 10" opening and put a vent grill over it to allow cool air into the case. (My desk has a door on the front.) The bad part is the wifey hates it, and brings it up everytime she complains about the PC being on top of the desk.

Why the hell did we have to buy a desk with a cabinet meant to hold the computer when you never keep the damn thing in it? Than there's the stupid hole you had to cut in the side of it...

If you can rout a groove in the center you can find the moulding (like on the sides of arcade machines and all) and just hammer it in. Much easier with an air hammer, but it's doable with a normal one too. I'm not sure where to find it, only reason I know about it is cause I used to work for a company that made arcade games ;)

Yep. Said groove could easily be cut with a router. Hammer it in with a rubber mallet. Google for ideas on where to buy.

or you could make some trim, like the kind on the edges of cabinets. and nail it in with trim nails. you could get it at home depot

or you could make some trim, like the kind on the edges of cabinets. and nail it in with trim nails. you could get it at home depot
yeah, that is what i thought of on my drive home from work. some right angle trim. cut it to length and cut the corners at 45 degrees. kinda like a picture frame. that might look nice. veneer would be a lot of work. maybe i will stroll through home depot and see what i can find.