Cache in the future?

Yukon Trooper

Not asking if 512kb vs 1mb cache is a major difference. I've read about 10 different places that the larger cache is maybe a 5% gain. However I did see in a benchmark that FEAR ran 8.9% better with the extra cache. Both cores were clocked to 2000mhz. There were 2 other games as well but the improvements were less. I know FEAR is a system hog so maybe the cache matters more in higher resource demanding games?

What I want to know is if a larger cache will matter in up and coming games such as Crysis, or if that average performance gains of 5% will stay indeffinately. Is it because games have not been written in code that takes advantage of the extra cache yet? I think these are the questions that need to be answered not the classic "Is 1mb vs 512kb a big difference?", as this question only yields the answer "5% gain buddy go with 512."

I have one word for you: CONROE. 4 meg shared cache, killer benchies. Its the cache that gets the chip this performance.
In a way, yes, but do you have any basis for these claims?

Even the 2MB cache Core 2 Duos rape AMD 64... the cache does make a difference but it's not as big as you make it sound

Well first of all I wont be buying a Conroe system anytime soon if ever as I just purchased this system. It's possible I might buy one in the future but by that time AMD could have a better processor as that is how the manufacture war goes: back and forth. I just want to know if the cache will matter for apps (mainly games) coming out in the future, not an argument about AMD 64 vs Conroe.