2nd PCI-E Slot on Non SLI Board?

Hey guys,

I posted this in someone elses thread a while back and want to ask again in case a few of you more knowledgeable types missed it ;)

Can the jumpers be set to SLI on a non sli board (nf4 ultra-d). I want to run my x1900gt in slot 2 but when I set the jumpers, I can't boot with card in slot 2. Switch to slot one and PCI-E config in bios tells me pci slots are "NC NC X8 X2"

Any ideas?

bb

I'd be interested in knowing how the drop from 16X to 8X affects your performance.

I'd rather run out of the second slot as well (better airflow for both the vid card & the chipset), but made the mistake a couple of days ago of just moving it without making any jumper changes......

Took me a couple of days to realise why my benchmark scores had dropped so much! :)

Thanks for the response......

Only had the board 2 weeks and I'm still ironing out all of the bugs. :)

I've looked in the bios and can't find any settings that need to be changed when I do this.... so all I need to do is move the jumpers over?

hrmm, maybe i should ask. I currently have my 1800xt in slot 2 (silly chipset fan blocked me from slot 1) and I never changed any jumpers. I booted up fine and have been running fine. I figured I could put it in either slot with no issues. Will not changing the jumpers affect anything?

Thanks,

Kyle

Heh......

That was the problem I ran into.........

The biggest indicator was the CPU score in 3dmark03.

All other apps (aquamark included) still posted decent #'s

I was scratching my head for 2 days until I remembered that I'd moved the vid card last time I had the case open. :)

Yeah, the difference of 8x verses 16x is barely noticable even in single card performance on my system, even in something as high end as Oblivion. There is however a big fat difference from 8x or 16x to 2x, again, I know from experience LOL I only got like 7K in 3DMark05 instead of 11K+, I was like "WHAT THE" then I realized, my lower slot son my Asus board was only running at 1X!!! LOL I'd forgotten to enable SLI. That was back when I first got SLI though.

Anywho, best of luck.

Yeah, the difference of 8x verses 16x is barely noticable even in single card performance on my system, even in something as high end as Oblivion. There is however a big fat difference from 8x or 16x to 2x, again, I know from experience LOL I only got like 7K in 3DMark05 instead of 11K+, I was like "WHAT THE" then I realized, my lower slot son my Asus board was only running at 1X!!! LOL I'd forgotten to enable SLI. That was back when I first got SLI though.

Anywho, best of luck.

No wonder Ive only been getting 7,000 in 3dmark. I was alittle disappointed. Ill retry it now.