Sign in to follow this  
Vhladd

Intermittent Boot Problem

Ok, here's a problem I haven't been able to find on the forums here:

Occasionally when I turn on the computer, or reboot my system, it hangs on the POST and goes no further. It shows on the screen "Detecting HD.......".

Now, if I again reboot the system when this occurs (using the Power button), it reboots and everything fires up and posts as it should. Like I said, this isn't everytime and is quite puzzling.

Any ideas?

Ok, here's a problem I haven't been able to find on the forums here:

Occasionally when I turn on the computer, or reboot my system, it hangs on the POST and goes no further. It shows on the screen "Detecting HD.......".

Now, if I again reboot the system when this occurs (using the Power button), it reboots and everything fires up and posts as it should. Like I said, this isn't everytime and is quite puzzling.

Any ideas?

1st thing have you connected all of your power connectors to the board, 2. change your psu as I used to have that one, my machine on occasions kept on freezing, I do not recommend anyone buying a modular psu, regardless of the name attached to it.

Look on the recommended list of psu for non modular:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

I do not recommend anyone buying a modular psu, regardless of the name attached to it.

[/url]

Why do modular PSUs have a bad reputation, how does being modular affect performance?

My Antec Smartpower II 500w has given my 0 problems so far.

1st thing have you connected all of your power connectors to the board, 2. change your psu as I used to have that one, my machine on occasions kept on freezing, I do not recommend anyone buying a modular psu, regardless of the name attached to it.

Look on the recommended list of psu for non modular:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Ok, so after a little talking to a buddy of mine, he loaned me his OCZ GameXStream OCZ 600W PSU recommended in the guides here. I made sure that (#1) ALL power connectors were connected to the board (as they were with the other PSU) AND I am still having the same problem.

Again, this is not everytime. I'd say it happens about every 1 in 10 times, if I were to guess. Also, I never had my machine freeze with the other PSU as you said yours did.

Any other ideas?

Ill take a random guess.... Try setting the HDD delay to 2 or 3 seconds in the BIOS.

Try putting the HDD on a different port if its SATA. As far as I know ports 1 and 2 are seperate from ports 3 and 4. So if its on 1 try 3.

Try a different SATA cables if you have some spare, or just try 1 HDD and switch cables unless you cant becaues of RAID. Check the connection, like maybe some crud and dust went into the connector or on the hdd's SATA port.

I guess if its intermitent it could be a connection somewhere that is loose, even a mobo problem but I doubt it.

One system I had would freeze up with a error on boot occasionally, I think it was a mainboard problem tho. I opended the case and presson on all the connections, on the CPU etc. but it still happend sometimes, in the end it just stopped happening and not long after the PSU died. So consider PSU but again, its not likely

Don't know if it's related - and you don't have the Expert board - but have you considered the .22 capacitor mod discussed here. In fact, might be worth having a read through the entire thread as there is loads of good info on voltage overshooting and switch bounce...