And so it begins again, this time with Intel's new Core2Duo

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That rig is looking like a keeper ................... Wanna trade LOL. How long have you had that up and running and already at 3600 ocdb stable? Great job.

Got the goodies Friday night and was up till 2AM. Spent most of Saturday just putting the SLI benchmark thread together so I really have more to fiddle with...aint done yet :)

Nice work OldGuy!!

Just curious as to what your load temps were with that fancy freezone cooler?

Pushin' 82c :eek: Started at 1.462v last night, went to bed and orthos woke me up twice :) Ended up at 1.50v. At 1.462v they were right around 75-76c. My ambients are in the mid 80's all day long which doesn't help. The Freezone was actually very very good with my opty 146 @ 3ghz pushing 1.64v, the load temps never went over 42c...This thing just generates alot of heat.

Pushin' 82c :eek: Started at 1.462v last night, went to bed and orthos woke me up twice :) Ended up at 1.50v. At 1.462v they were right around 75-76c. My ambients are in the mid 80's all day long which doesn't help. The Freezone was actually very very good with my opty 146 @ 3ghz pushing 1.64v, the load temps never went over 42c...This thing just generates alot of heat.

No kidding, moving from (relatively) cool running Athlons to these Intels is a huge shock. I'm priming my Pentium D 805 right now and it's pretty much running solid at 80C on a Zalman 9500.

At least I don't care if I burn this one up. :)

No kidding, moving from (relatively) cool running Athlons to these Intels is a huge shock. I'm priming my Pentium D 805 right now and it's pretty much running solid at 80C on a Zalman 9500.

At least I don't care if I burn this one up. :)

** as his mobo catches fire & then his house ** :eek: :P

Great Post! Maybe your best post yet. It was funny and poignant and interesting and fun to read.

And don't apologize for repeating yourself, as it is the most effective method of communicating your ideas. My old boss used to say: "(1) Tell them what you are going to them; then (2) Tell them; and finally (3) Tell them what you just told them." So good job on that front.

And I agree with almost everything you said. Most of the members/ users/ participants in this forum fall into that 70% of modest overclockers that you talk about, including me.

BUT - I think I may be the straw-man that you demolished (or one of the straw-men) who recommended the 24" Dell 2407 Widescreen LCD monitor and the 7950 GX2's, and I think neither is crazy expensive, and I further believe you get more bang for the buck in buying these kinds of great parts b/c they last longer, and deliver such superior performance that the extra cost is justified. That 24" Dell 2407 Widescreen LCD will last you for at least 3 years and make EVERYTHING you do on your computer look great during that entire time. The monitor is your interface with the computer, it is where the "rubber meets the road" to use a 20th Century expression, and is incredibly important for both pure enjoyment and aesthetics, not to mention the benefits it delivers in terms of ease of eye strain. Same goes for getting a top-of-the-line video card.

If you are 16 years old and have to live on your paper route for income, then maybe you should get some el cheapo parts; but if you are over 25, and have an actual job, and computers are your hobby and your passion, then you should take it seriously and budget your funds accordingly, and bite the bullet and buy some good stuff.

Oh and to answer your query as to why we keep coming back to this forum, at least for me, I keep coming back for great contributions like this one - so keep it up.

PS - I love DFI. I also like unicorns.

BUT - I think I may be the straw-man that you demolished (or one of the straw-men) who recommended the 24" Dell 2407 Widescreen LCD monitor and the 7950 GX2's, and I think neither is crazy expensive, and I further believe you get more bang for the buck in buying these kinds of great parts b/c they last longer, and deliver such superior performance that the extra cost is justified. That 24" Dell 2407 Widescreen LCD will last you for at least 3 years and make EVERYTHING you do on your computer look great during that entire time. The monitor is your interface with the computer, it is where the "rubber meets the road" to use a 20th Century expression, and is incredibly important for both pure enjoyment and aesthetics, not to mention the benefits it delivers in terms of ease of eye strain. Same goes for getting a top-of-the-line video card.

I don't disagree with this mindset at all...it just isn't the overwhelming majority of users...the overwhelming majority still use 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions for everything. That's just how it is. Even myself...19" widescreen monitors ;)

Polizei: you best take that red warning text seriously and take a minute to read the rules because we ain't real tolerant of you just ignoring our rules here. Nothing personal, you just aren't a special snowflake that gets to bypass forum rules.