And so it begins again, this time with Intel's new Core2Duo

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will do 395... ;)

you know what, I have a hunch it can be pushed out to around 395, though getting stability is gonna be the trick.

Trfc is tight in comparison to other boards, that's where some of the performance of this board comes from - clock for clock in comparision.

I'll be about no worries...

regards

Raja

gawd doing all these benchmarks is just...a chore lol (boring!)

i've got so many benchmark numbers in my head that I can't think straight and won't be able to for probably 3-5 more days

but it's cool yo...finding out myself that I REALLY want this C2D setup as my main rig...and i ain't even had a chance to test it with a couple of X1900XT Crossfires lol (a single X1900XT seems to be beating my FX-60 + X1900XT Crossfire setup)

At all resolutions or just the lower ones?

i'll have to look through the 40 or so screens I've already capped during testing, but I'll get to that when I am all done testing (i've ran so many stupid benches so far that I'm...quite psychotic i think lol)

I nailed 109fps and then again 93fps in HL2 Lost Coast @ 1600x1200 w/4xAA + 16xAF and all options maxed with a single X1900 and stock speed (2.4Ghz) E6600...which is funny because I remember hitting about 110-120fps @ FX-60 + Crossfire speeds before (but never at 1600x1200)

i think

possibly

I've got so many benchmark bits in my head that I'm not remembering anything clearly...i went to bed thinking about benchmarks and woke up angry this morning still thinking about benchmarks hahaha

hmmmmm ya think if i just replace the guts the wife won't notice(use the same case)?

Eh.... Nevermind. She would definitely notice the 7-800 bones missing from the bank account.

ok i had to take a break from regular benchmarks, so i jammed up a 1.2GB raw DV (Digital Video) clip straight out of the DV Camera, and installed Sony Vegas on 3 different machines

1. Asus P5WD2-E (socket 775)

Pentium D (Presler) 930 @ 3750Mhz

2x1GB OCZ Platinum GX DDR2 5-5-5-15

2x80GB Hitachi SATA II @ RAID-0

7800GTX 256MB

3750mhz_pentiumd_vid-render.gif

2. DFI LanParty CFX3200-DR (socket 939)

AMD X2 4400+ @ 2600Mhz (FX-60)

2x1GB OCZ Platinum EB 3-3-2-8

2x X1900XT Crossfire mode

2600Mhz_fx-60__vid-render.gif

3. DFI Infinity 975X/G (socket 775)

Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 2400Mhz (stock speed)

2X1GB OCZ Gold GX DDR2 5-6-6-15

X1900XT

@ 2400Mhz (stock speed)

2400Mhz_c2d__vid-render.gif

@ 3000Mhz

3000Mhz_c2d__vid-render.gif

@ 3500Mhz

3500Mhz_c2d__vid-render.gif

posted results

the video is 5m 19s in length, with the audio track removed, and a 5m 24s mp3 added as an audio track

rendered in Windows Media format (.wmv), CBR 2-pass, 128k mp3 44Khz, Best Quality (100 setting), 3Mbit LAN bitrate

results are surprising, but then again not all that surprising ;)

well...not surprising that the Pentium D 930 (Presler 65nm core) beats the "FX-60"...given that it is 1150Mhz faster

but the most surprising (though it shouldn't be after messing around with this C2D monster as much as I have lately) is the stock speed E6600

I'm going to be doing more of this kind of testing with programs that I use regularly...I think fooling with some mp3 encoding from wav files, a couple of different video renders, who knows what else I will find to fool around with.

I doubt I will be including the Pentium D anymore in the bench results. I've got that Asus rig set up and overclocked very nicely and it has faithfully served as my video editing workstation for months now, and I only put the software I NEED on it (you start installing all sorts of junk like benchmarks and games so you can benchmark them....and it erodes the integrity of the purpose of the machine, which is PURELY for editing videos...and once in a moon it serves as our Titan Quest dedicated server lol).

If anyone can think of some other "normal use" tests they'd like to see compared between the "FX-60" and this Core2Duo, speak now or forever hold your pieces. I'm about to break down the CFX3200-DR and rob it of it's secondary X1900XT so I can run Crossfire on the Core2Duo setup, so once the FX-60 Crossfire rig is deconstructed, it ain't going back together, and I don't have any SLI worthy of testing (I have a set of 6600GT's for SLI and that is it)