Sign in to follow this  
Jarcet711

Advice on hitting 3ghz on a 939?

Hey Guys, I am overdue for a new gaming machine and was hoping for some advice from some you. I would like to build a system that I can o'c to hopefully 3ghz. So far the only part I'm sure of is the PSU...the OCZ 700w gamexstream. I know I need a 2 gig kit of some good ram...OCZ?, Mushkin?, or GSkill? I figure i have to do water to hit those speeds to right? Can I get 3ghz out of a 3800+ dual core? or an opty around that same stock speed? Would it be better to go with the dfi expert or sli-dr? Should i go with a couple x1900xt's or would nvidia be a better choice? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, rather than buy watercooling, I'd look around for a Good Opteron 165 with good steppings and use good air cooling. It will prolly save you money in the long run, not to mention my fear of water mixed with electricity, but that's just me.

Here's a link to Good Opty steppings:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96900

That is if you're looking for dual core.....if single core, the only one I can recommend is a 3700+. Here's a link to good 3700 steppings:

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/101138-info-...-san-diego.html

3700's are the chip I always recomend to those that only need single core. In fact I still have my 3700+ and its the only AMD chip I have or have had that hits over 3ghz. In fact I still have yet to reach the OC wall with mine. But steppings are everything! On top of that it has been the funnest chip I have owned. I cant say more about it. I still pop it in every so often, just to play!

Its also a great time to buy x2 4400's and x2 4800's, all are on sale and the two I got last month really clock good for a x2,s and at low Vcores, but I did sell off the x2 4800 and made 50 bucks too. The x2 3800's are doing real good too and alot of folks are saying they are doing better then the Optys, but I have no first hand experences with them. However stepping, once again, is the key!

Some times I try my luck and order from Newegg and sometimes I look and look for one I want. In the end I have been lucky and newegg has given me great steppings. If you want a certain stepping start serching now, and plan on paying a bit more too.

Good luck and have fun with your new rig!

but the 4400 and 4800 Oc pretty crappy, i find it hard to believe a 4400 will reach 3ghz, 4800 maybe, probably not as well...

the 3800 can usually reach about 2800 or so... which is very nice for its stock speed...

hoo, there is the new 4400, 89w vers, they should oc better, but i dunno much 'bout them

Remember that even though you have the best components, your OC may not be the same as someone out there with stellar clocks on the same exact gear. I have had good luck with my G.Skill ram and I had some very good Muskin ram as well. I am not up to speed on that model PSU but I have an OCZ Powerstream 520W and I swear by it, look in my sig at all the crap it runs. Also take into consideration that being a gaming rig, your video will weigh in heavily as opposed to your CPU. I would focus on video, ram then CPU.

By the way I have been on H20 for almost two years and have not had a single issue. :)

g/l

but the 4400 and 4800 Oc pretty crappy, i find it hard to believe a 4400 will reach 3ghz, 4800 maybe, probably not as well...

the 3800 can usually reach about 2800 or so... which is very nice for its stock speed...

hoo, there is the new 4400, 89w vers, they should oc better, but i dunno much 'bout them

I've have an X2 4200 and an X2 4800.

I think the top end speed for these X2 processors, no matter what their rated speed is somewhere just over 2.8ghz. I can get 2.8ghz out of the 2.2ghz 4200, but that logic doesn't carry to the faster chip; so there's no way I'm getting 3ghz out of the 2.4ghz 4800.

The 4200 I can get to 2805Mhz (255x11) (Storm-H20), but one of the cores fails a few minutes into Prime95, works fine for games etc... otherwise.

The 4800 I can get to 2835Mhz (315x9) (Storm-H20) and will run Prime95 for a couple of hours. At 2844Mhz (316x9) it is unstable and crashes shortly after booting. :)

exactly. the 4200/3800 are superb OCers, they are more then good BANG FOR BUCK. i highely recommand them, but again, no one can geruntee OC levels.

Thanks for all the great advice guys! Ok so it's between the opty 165 and the 3800/4200 than. I've always bought from newegg in the past, think I should take a shot at getting lucky with a good stepping from them or try that ebay link from Kaxx? What is the best choice in ram...OCZ, Mushkin or G.Skill? As far as video is concerned should i go 7950 or 1950? Thanks again!

get any memory you can find : its hard to find good ddr1 now, gskill or ocz are my choice i guess, but it depends on the module

jarcet enjoy the new build!

I would get a X2 just about any will be worlds faster than the righ you have shoting for 3.0 is more for the single core cards but unless you are on a tight budget not something I would bother with right now dual core is the way to go.

X3800 or 4400/4800 they are all dirt cheap for the performace compaired to past chips.

Right now there are far far many good choices for video cards I just bought a 1900xtx on the cheap to go corssfire you would need a crossfire board or hacked drivers. One of these should be more than enogh for now. 7950GT SLI would be fun too if you have the cash same for 7950GTX.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/reviews.html...GhlbnRodXNpYXN0

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...GVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

Look for reviews that dont just have meaning less charts for the video card. I would wait for the XTX1950 but I want to play now not when the price goes down. One thing to note there have ben a lot of people having issues with the 78/79 series video cards including me coincidence who knows they are popular cards find enough some will break. Do a search for your won intrest.

Sign in to follow this