Replaced PSU but still encountering problem

hi, I have problem with my system. It will sometimes kinda stuck in windows (the system actually is not freeze but I can't click on the taskbar on the buttom of the screen). Control-Alt-Delete actually works and I was able to use that to restart my computer. I wonder what's wrong?

I am having problem with this system for awhile now, it sometimes will reboot without any warning, sometimes it will kinda like freeze when I turn it on. People have suggest replace the PSU with something stronger and on the recommended, and I have since replace it with (enermax galaxy PSU, 850W, so I think the PSU is strong enough). As you can see from my sig, my system is not the top of the line which does nto draw that much power. I wonder could it be the cpu? memory? hd? mobo? or what. What's odd is that I can run 3d benchmarks, or dual prime, or memtest, all passed, yet I am still encountering these problems. What do you guys suggest?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, I have problem with my system. It will sometimes kinda stuck in windows (the system actually is not freeze but I can't click on the taskbar on the buttom of the screen). Control-Alt-Delete actually works and I was able to use that to restart my computer. I wonder what's wrong?

I am having problem with this system for awhile now, it sometimes will reboot without any warning, sometimes it will kinda like freeze when I turn it on. People have suggest replace the PSU with something stronger and on the recommended, and I have since replace it with (enermax galaxy PSU, 850W, so I think the PSU is strong enough). As you can see from my sig, my system is not the top of the line which does nto draw that much power. I wonder could it be the cpu? memory? hd? mobo? or what. What's odd is that I can run 3d benchmarks, or dual prime, or memtest, all passed, yet I am still encountering these problems. What do you guys suggest?

For me reading this it screams memory...but its odd that your passing Prime and able to run memtest and so on...

How many mb of ram are you using for dual prime?

What graphics driver are you using?

Had you updated any drivers or done anything when this started to happen.

Try running lavasoft adaware to check for any malware/spyware:

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person...tml?tag=lst-0-8

You could also run an online virus scan from someone like trend:

http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

Blow your pc out and check your graphics card fan and heatsink for dust, also make sure all fans are running.

When does it lock up? Is it during games? Surfing the internet?

Some things to be going on with.

Guest caffeinejunkie

If by passing memtest you mean you only had it run the 1-8 once then that is not enough. You shoud let the 1-8 run for 3hrs at a bare minimum if not having it run all night. If your memory can pass all night and you can make it to 8hrs on dual prime (once you have it setup right) then id say it sounds like the harddrive may be the culprit.

What graphics driver are you using?

Had you updated any drivers or done anything when this started to happen.

Try running lavasoft adaware to check for any malware/spyware:

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person...tml?tag=lst-0-8

You could also run an online virus scan from someone like trend:

http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

Blow your pc out and check your graphics card fan and heatsink for dust, also make sure all fans are running.

When does it lock up? Is it during games? Surfing the internet?

Some things to be going on with.

I have adaware installed and has scanned it already. All the fans are running fine. It locks up in some of the weirdest place, not in 3d or heavy cpu but sometimes just browing web, using Words. When it locks up, it doesn't restart, just makes the system not responsive.

I just installed the latest nvidia 91.47 driver (but the problem happens with older 91.33 or current one).

I will try to prime it again with the proper setting for memory (i did run 2 primes but not using the memory setting).

After you run Memtest properly as already stated while in Memtest run the following. Press C-1-5-0. Let this test run for at least 2000% coverage. Quite often this will turn up errors no other test will.

After you run Memtest properly as already stated while in Memtest run the following. Press C-1-5-0. Let this test run for at least 2000% coverage. Quite often this will turn up errors no other test will.

Aren't you mixing memtest86 with memtest for windows Praz?

Aren't you mixing memtest86 with memtest for windows Praz?

No. Test 10 without cache in Memtest86. I guess I should have said let it repeat at least 20 times. It doesn't take too long to run.