These Optys are FAST!!

Cuttlefish1212

WOW!! Just got done with a marathon overclocking session. I had no idea these dual cores would simply fly! Booted into Windows so fast I think it got windburn :P

I followed the DFI OC Guide (want to do this right and all) and found my Opty's absolute functional limit. I got her to 325 x 9 = 2.925GHz!! Mind you I didn't have enough time to run a good battery of stress tests and the memory was slow and loose, but still quite impressive. I figure under Prime95 she'll probably top out around 2.6-2.7GHz.

I really tried hard to hit 3.GHz but I ran into Mr. BSOD. I even hit the shutdown temp (60C) a couple of times since I ran the Vcore at 1.55. She ran about 55C at 2.925. The temps remained pretty good until I hit 2.8GHz. From there they went up fast. She ran stock V until 2.8 then I had her at 1.45V when I got to 2.925GHz. At 2.9, she seems fairly stable just running SuperPi, some virus scans, and such.

In all, I'm very impressed with the Opteron 165 AND with DFI. Even with the memory and HTT in the gutter, I still could have never gotten these overclocks on the Biostar or Gigabyte boards that I've used in the past. Today was just gettin' damp...I'll really take her for a swim over the next couple of weeks :)

You have a good stepping you may find you can top out at around 2.8ghz on lower volts, try 300x9 HTT setting you effectively at 2700mhz and then see the lowest vcore you can go stable; I can run 2.7 at stock although not the same stepping I have seen others with the same as you do great on stock. Yours is supposed to have a better mem controleer as well if I remember right. Prime it for at least 8 hours, but i would watch those temps if your going above 55c you might find alot of stablity issues, and you don't want to risk frying your great cpu. Upping your other board voltages can help stabalize your oc too.

You have my salute, chances are good that 300x9 is your shot, our steppings speak for themselves, Opty's own the overclocker's realm...

from what I hear, the 146 is Godly for single core overclocking.

The way I figured, since all Optys are Server-based, their ability to remain stable factors in immensely when OC'ing, reason why I got my Opty ^_^

Try not to over do it, I think 2.7 GHz and 3.0 GHz won't make or break your gaming performance, if gaming is all you're gonna use it for. But for Adobe Premiere/others, maybe you'd need it.

As Angry said: "It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there."

yay for 2.7 Ghz 900Mhz OC! :eek:

Yeah, I was really trying to hit that magic 334 x 9 just to see if I could. Maybe if a tweaked it a bit more here and there...or after I get my OCZ RAM. I'm currently using Corsair XMS and while it's terrific RAM, it's not good for high overclocks IMO.

My target is 2.7GHz Primestable. I'm only using this rig for gaming, surfing and some light word processing. That's a major bargain on air cooling...better than a friggin' FX-60 and nearly an FX-62 :eek:

I figure if I run stock voltage at 2.7GHz with timings of 3-3-3-8 2T, I should be able to pass Prime without too much fanfair.

I've a friend who's been wanting to purchase a dual-core Opty for the longest time but methinks his wife has other ideas :P He doesn't yet know I've gotten one...maybe I'll send him a CPU-Z screenshot Muahahahahahaha :cool:

Much fun this is :)

Alright, I'm done benching the processor. I've settled at the following specs which passed the various tests:

OCing 300MHz x 9 = 2700MHz. RAM at 3-3-3-8 2T. Memory divider at 5/6. Vcore at 1.35. Temps hovering around 40C idle...50C heavy load.

Now for the real test..a bit of BF2 :P

Alright, I'm done benching the processor. I've settled at the following specs which passed the various tests:

OCing 300MHz x 9 = 2700MHz. RAM at 3-3-3-8 2T. Memory divider at 5/6. Vcore at 1.35. Temps hovering around 40C idle...50C heavy load.

Now for the real test..a bit of BF2 :P

you will really want to run 2 gigs of ram for bf2.....good job on the clock, you have one of the very sought after steppings!

165 Opty's do rock if you get a good stepping.My first one was a CCBWE 0607,would only

do about 2.6ish regardless of vcore.I sold it and got a CCBBE0610DPMW.It handles anything I throw at it.334x9 is no problem with 2x1gb G.Skill or 2x512 Patriot.For BF2

2gb is much better.I traded my son my G.Skill for his Patriot.I also added a swapfile drive

so it's not too bad.