New Ultra II - M2 board -- what to expect?

The problem is, a fella in a local computer forum has claimed and showed screenshots that he successfully OC'ed a Sempron 3000+ Manila up to 2.9 GHz high HTT, exactly with this MoBo, and original 1st release BIOS.:confused:

U guys cannot get more that 270 HTT?

Is it CPC 1T or 2T?

I hit almost the same wall on 1T IIRC,

change it to 2T, and it flies to 380HTT, anything more than 380 would not boot (I think I hit the cpu/mem controller wall here not mobo).

And yes... original first release 06-20 BIOS is the best, tried out latest 07 (shipped with my board), but couldn't get combination of HTT/Mem as high as 06-20.

@SpursIndonesia: cobain pake bios lama aja lbh oke.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Infinity UltraII-M2 just came in yesterday. Hooked it, everything booted on first try. Got the proc up to 2.9, a little unstable though. I am at 258*11 right now and I primed it, but it crashed after 5 hours. DDR2 667 is @ 810 timings at 5-5-5-15 2t. I love OCZ!!! I just have a little tinkering to do and I know I can get it up higher, maybe even close to the 3.0 Ghz mark!

I switched from and MSI k9n platinum, I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING OTHER THAN DFI FROM NOW ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I could get my HTT to 299 with a multiplier of 9, but it wasn't too stable. I'm not sure where my BIOS version is. Where can I find it so I can update my sig?

DFI rules!!! I couldn't get past 250 HTT with ANY multiplier on my MSI k9n platinum. I am now a loyal customer!

jonyb and dmart: you wont get any more warnings to follow the rules you agreed to twice before you could post in this forum (specifically rule #10)

now...if this thread is going to delve into overclocking, it is going to get moved to overclocking.

if you guys are having troubles at stock speed, then I'll leave it here.

decide which it is

This board has been a dream for me. I got it, hooked up all my multiple drives and other peripherals and away I went, not one hiccup since. I've had this board to 335 HTT, which is my DDR533's limit when pushed. I am also using the stock BIOS. I cannot tell you how happy I was after the nightmare I had with a KN9 SLI. Super board at a nice price.

@dmart & jonyb, thanx for the info and opinion, i'll try the CPC 2 setting right away - but AFAIK most Venice can hit HTT 300 1T with ease, dunno with these new Orleans

@Happy_Games, i won't dwell further into OC'ing, just wanna know more about my 'unreleased' BIOS that's not even an official one. icon12.gif

I wonder whether an Evercool chipset cooler will fit onto this MoBo, cause the chipset temp is hot as hell -reaching 61 C ! speechless-smiley-020.gif

This is the screenshot from BA software which read the BIOS identity code:

size.jpg

Okay, I am up and running. It wasn't easy, however.

I spent a while fitting the Zalman passive cooler into the motherboard only to see chipset temps soar into the high 60s. Then I tried a Vantec copper cooler. Guess what, there are damn capacitors in the way and it wouldn't fit. So back to the original cooler.

Installing Windows has been a chore. The last setting in the Genie section of the BIOS. The description implies that you should disable it if you are running a 32 bit O/S. Wrong! Windows XP would not install unless it is enabled. It would crash just after the loading of the setup files everytime. Until I figured this out, I tried all types of setting combinations, new IDE cables, different ram, different ram slots, etc... for about 3-4 hours.

So, I finally get XP installed, then load the chipset drivers, video card drivers, sound drivers, etc... only to discover that Norton's Antivirus 2003 and the ATI Catalysts 6.8 drivers hate each other. Restoring to an earlier point didn't help.

Back to square one.

@dmart & jonyb, thanx for the info and opinion, i'll try the CPC 2 setting right away - but AFAIK most Venice can hit HTT 300 1T with ease, dunno with these new Orleans

@Happy_Games, i won't dwell further into OC'ing, just wanna know more about my 'unreleased' BIOS that's not even an official one. icon12.gif

I wonder whether an Evercool chipset cooler will fit onto this MoBo, cause the chipset temp is hot as hell -reaching 61 C ! speechless-smiley-020.gif

This is the screenshot from BA software which read the BIOS identity code:

size.jpg

1. if it were 'released' then you'd get info on it

unreleased means "NOT FOR YOU" so there's no point in asking about it.

If it is up on some website, then it's there to download and use

if it has no description, and it is not on the official site, then it is not something that was meant to be released to the general public.

(keep in mind DFI does strange things that make me and Rgone scratch our heads also)

2. the Thermalright HR-05 and HR-05 SLI chipset coolers work on the board

the Vantec coolers work

the Evercool...not going to happen without some modification of the cooler

3. rules are your friend

you agreed to them twice before posting the first time at this forum

posting pics that are beyond the size rules = makes no friends with mods/admins at the forum ;)

Oops, sorry about the img size fella, i'll fix it later. :)

About the BIOS, fact is i got them bundled within when i bought them in a local computer fair here in Jakarta, straight from the main dealer of DFI MoBo's itself. And you know that Jakarta is closer to Taipei than LA. ;)

So if it's an unreleased edition, why on earth did it come along with the MoBo ? :confused:

Frankly, beside the HTT question mark, MoBo works flawlessly for me, quite satisfied for that.

Guest DaddyD302
Installing Windows has been a chore. The last setting in the Genie section of the BIOS. The description implies that you should disable it if you are running a 32 bit O/S. Wrong! Windows XP would not install unless it is enabled. It would crash just after the loading of the setup files everytime. Until I figured this out, I tried all types of setting combinations, new IDE cables, different ram, different ram slots, etc... for about 3-4 hours.

What part was that? Do you know if that's just on your board or on all DFI's AM2 boards? Just wondering if I miss that part when I was having problems installing windows. Anyways I wish you luck man, I know how you feel.

What part was that? Do you know if that's just on your board or on all DFI's AM2 boards? Just wondering if I miss that part when I was having problems installing windows. Anyways I wish you luck man, I know how you feel.

It was just the one setting in the BIOS that messed everything up.

Okay, I am up and running. It wasn't easy, however.

I spent a while fitting the Zalman passive cooler into the motherboard only to see chipset temps soar into the high 60s. Then I tried a Vantec copper cooler. Guess what, there are damn capacitors in the way and it wouldn't fit. So back to the original cooler.

Installing Windows has been a chore. The last setting in the Genie section of the BIOS. The description implies that you should disable it if you are running a 32 bit O/S. Wrong! Windows XP would not install unless it is enabled. It would crash just after the loading of the setup files everytime. Until I figured this out, I tried all types of setting combinations, new IDE cables, different ram, different ram slots, etc... for about 3-4 hours....

Too bad U missed the first sticky thread right on this forum :)

It's explained in details there as to why the bios messed up with that setting, and what is the "correct" setting.

IIRC on the 1st and 2nd page, I've post that Vantec Iceberq 1 won't fit, without u cutting it a bit one side (which has been done by one of the forum member with pics)

As to chipset cooling, I've been happy with standard chipset cooler, but I've wiped clean those sticky goop with gasoline, and slap on some AS5 goodness to it :tooth:

Chipset temp never got over 60 even @1.6v, it's hover around low 50s, it was so cool, I've reduced fan speed to 60% (it's noisy as hell, I hate noises).

Too bad U missed the first sticky thread right on this forum :)

It's explained in details there as to why the bios messed up with that setting, and what is the "correct" setting.

IIRC on the 1st and 2nd page, I've post that Vantec Iceberq 1 won't fit, without u cutting it a bit one side (which has been done by one of the forum member with pics)

As to chipset cooling, I've been happy with standard chipset cooler, but I've wiped clean those sticky goop with gasoline, and slap on some AS5 goodness to it :tooth:

Chipset temp never got over 60 even @1.6v, it's hover around low 50s, it was so cool, I've reduced fan speed to 60% (it's noisy as hell, I hate noises).

Thanks for pointing that out now. It's about 2 days late, however.