New Ultra II - M2 board -- what to expect?

Hi Gang,

I just bought a new Ultra II - M2 board. I haven't picked it up yet, but I wanted to know if there is anything I should watch out for?

I have downloaded the latest BIOS from DFI's website. Is there a later version floating around?

I have the following hardware to run with it:

A64 3500+ AM2

2 x 1GB Mushkin PC2-5300 DDR2

200GB Maxtor 16MB IDE HDD

Enermax 485W PSU

I plan on overclocking too and have a THERMALTAKE Mini Tyhpoon for cooling.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put some decent heatsink on your MoBo's mosfets, just use an ex Pentium 3 heatsink, cut it into pieces that fits the room beetween the caps over the mosfets, and you'll easily get nice OC result without worrying the PWM IC temp going skyrocket. Use a decent thermaltape/thermalglue to stick the HS onto the mosfets.

Ofcourse, spreading the heatsinks over all the MoBo hotspots would be helpful too.

I just recently bought this MoBo in a computer fair here in Jakarta, and getting a nice OC result with my Orleans 3200+ SPDW, reaching 2.68 GHz stock Vcore & cooling with ease. But my RAM is still in single channel mode -i only got one stick of the RAM, and that's suppose to be the common achilles for any OCing MoBo .

Indeed, the BIOS caught me in surprise, as i got the 08/09/06 BIOS, which is not present in DFI official website. Is it a pre release beta BIOS or something ?

...Indeed, the BIOS caught me in surprise, as i got the 08/09/06 BIOS, which is not present in DFI official website. Is it a pre release beta BIOS or something ?

Can you by any chance backup your bios to a file and attach it here?

Very new, it's not yet available on normal nor beta DFI bios download website.

Is that a modded or beta BIOS ? I'm kinda dissappointed right now, cause when i lower the CPU & HTT multi (9x, 3x), trying to get a higher HTT, the 400:400 divider doesn't work, using the 400:533 divider, HTT craps out @272, while RAM speed's still at just DDR2 732 SPD timing.

I KNOW the RAM is not the culprit, because it's capable of reaching DDR2 800 @2v default CPU & HTT multi, 400:677, and the CPU's still has a long way to go -it's capable of reaching 2.68 GHz stock Vcore prime stable.

I'm really lost right now, you guys have any idea ? jonyb, what's your best achieved stable HTT using that BIOS at this moment ?

I try two Infinity NF ULTRAII-M2 and three versions of bios, and i can't get more then 270 HTT.

Yeasterday i tested ordinary NF-M2 with NF4 non Ultra, and this bord can't pass 270 HTT.

In my opinion problem is bios not in the motherboard.

Solution: whait for new bios, or in worst case revision B ;)

The problem is, a fella in a local computer forum has claimed and showed screenshots that he successfully OC'ed a Sempron 3000+ Manila up to 2.9 GHz high HTT, exactly with this MoBo, and original 1st release BIOS.:confused:

i dont now, but now i em not very impresed with this motherboard... for now i belive in miricle bios ;)