Sign in to follow this  
Yukon Trooper

Windows Professional vs Windows Home

I hate Home edition, feels like a kids OS like it has parental controls to it or something.

there is absolutely no difference in basic function between Home and Pro. Only in it's advanced useage options are (as per the links Ace threw up)

because of dual-core and hyperthreaded processors, XP Home will support a Hyperthreaded Pentium4, or a standard dual-core Intel/AMD cpu.

MS would never allow some of their customers to not be able to use Home because of HT or dual-core cpu's.

With great respect, I ask your interpretation of this portion of the compairson at Microsoft's site: LINK

(My appologies for this lousy attempt to reproduce a portion of the web page)

KEY: = Feature not included = Feature included

Features

Windows XP Home Edition (Open Circle - NO)

Windows XP Professional (Filled Circle - YES)

Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support.

While Home will RUN on dual core CPU and true SMP computers, it does not MAKE USE of the extra CPU or core.

And, yes, Microsoft certainly will force users to buy a more expensive version of it's operating system.

They feel that if you want or need workstation proformance and are willing to pay the higher price for the hardware, you can certainly pay more for the software required to make it run.

Nothing personal, just business.

I believe (although not certain) that Windows Vista Home Basic will continue this policy.

I appologize if I am mistaken.

EDIT: If cost is a problem, XP MCE is actually XP Pro with some extra TV stuff thrown in - and that portion can be turned off leaving just XP Pro.

Cost of XP Home $88 LINK

Cost of MCE $110 LINK

I'd just hate to see someone get a brand new X2 or Opty, then not be able to get full benifit form it.

Again if I am wrong, I appologize and will correct my posts.

XP Pro is geared more towards corporate customers who need features like remote admin, offline files, group policies, remote installations, roaming profiles, and greater access control than "Allow network users to change my files". I went with Pro because I like a little extra control and it's what I'm used to, being a corporate TS monkey. Paying the extra money was no big deal. The extra processes are easy to shut off and you don't have to install IIS (and other such bloatware -> in the sense that a home user will never use it).

I noticed that XP Home seems to want to do more for you but that could be me shutting down all non-essential processes in Pro.

god, so many shuffling around, im not sure who to cheer on... probably ended up cheering on vancouver again :) fantasy hockey?? whe....*searching now* ;)

sorry for the off topic :(

yes, another thing i luv in XP Pro is the management console where u can disable services, set ntfs cluster size, group policy editor, stuff.... :)

Thnx for all the info on Pro vs. Home guys!

Sorry off topic but I'm Canadian and there is hockey talk here. :) Vancouver is currently a "rebuild" team. Considering their mass overhaul and reconstruction their glue is probably pretty weak. Are you from Vancouver? Then I would understand. I'm from Calgary so GO FLAMES GO! They are a team that is ready to win the cup NOW. You should hop on the train, it's fun to cheer for a team that wins alot. :P

i lived there for 2 years, and watch their games a few times... :) so yeah... thats why... i lived in toronto for 5 years n i still dont like the Leaf (altho i would cheer on them if theyre higher in the playoff than vancouver :P)

Well Toronto went through the same slice and dice (if not worse) than Vancouver did. Who knows though maybe the chemistry these teams have now will bond real quick. However, to be safe I say you move to Calgary or Montreal. The logo on the side of your computer.. Insectabots?

we'r gonna get deleted for being off topic.... BUT... if u can get me a job in Calgary i'll move there lol not really about where i live, really, but more to the team... i just luv Naslund and the rest of the gang...

no, not insectabots, a tattoo artist friend helped me out on that design, but i made more changes to it... i make tribal designs on my spare time :)