3800+ vs 4800+ vs Opty 165

Yukon Trooper

2 days max from buying my new rig and only a few more questions to ask. Strictly gaming, what processor? I downgraded my 7950 to a x1900xt so I have some extra $ to spend. Bang for my buck the 3800 is obviously the way to go but I've only heard good things about the opty for overclocking. However the 4800 is not too too much more expensive than the 165 and its a 600mhz increase at stock which seems to be significant. Whats the deffinitive down lo on my CPU situation?

if you are in to oc'ing, and you want to save money, the x2 3800+ is a very good overclocker. a lot of ppl here have oc'ed it to 2.6-2.8 on average. the 165 would go higher depending on teh stepping, but they are more expensive.

so, all that to say, if you want to pinch pennies, definitely the x2 3800. if not, then the opty.

Like the others said...

If you're gonna OC, then Opty 165

If you're not, then 4800

Whomever said the extra L2 cache doesn't help obviously hasn't seen enough gaming benchmarks. You may not see much increase in those synthetic benchmarks but trust me you will in gaming. The Internal Memory Controller is the 939's strong point, exploit it!