Sign in to follow this  
ShadeZeRO

Crossfire and SLI boards

Hey everyone...I'm planning on building a New Computer in the near future...

It's going to be a Core 2 Duo System, E6600 to be exact (I'm a die hard AMD fan, but the figures just are too impressive to ignore)

I'm wondering, If I get 2 ATI Cards (Crossfire's), Do I Need a crossfire chipset also? Or can I just use any motherboard that has (2)PCI Express 16x slots?

I was planning on going with one of those new ASUS boards, the P5 series, they overclock Amazingly well, but I haven't read any reviews on the DFI boards yet.

Thanks!

It depends on the graphics card you pick. Anything x1XXX up to an x1800 you don't need a crossfire card. The x1800 and up you need a crossfire master card and a normal card.

So when I get a crossfire mobo I could buy any x1600Pro and do crossfire but if I had an x1900 I'd need a crossfire master card. The master cards usually cost a lil more, but supposedly the x1950 normal and master cards will cost the same.

And for crossfire you need an ati chipset or intel 955x or better with 2 16x slots. If you wait for a DFI Lanparty board, there should be a Nvidia chipset one if you want to go SLI. I know there are a few low-end 500 series chipset Intel boards out currently.

I'm a Die Hard ATI fan haha, but I suppose, Since i'm going towards intel, the best performer with the Core 2 duo would most likely be the Nvidia cards, since ATI and AMD are the same company now.

I'm a Die Hard ATI fan haha, but I suppose, Since i'm going towards intel, the best performer with the Core 2 duo would most likely be the Nvidia cards, since ATI and AMD are the same company now.

What's your logic? It's not like nvidia and Intel are teamed up now. They have the same hurdles as ATI still.

Read up on the differences of CrossFire and SLI. There are differences and I myself personally think CrossFire is the best choice for me and what I would want to accomplish with it.

Also, there are tons of folks here that use AMD's and nVidia cards and get great performance from them :)

boo