does the UltraII-m2 support new Opteron 1210 am2 cpus?

I think there's a big difference between the AM2 X2's and the 939 X2's in terms of clocking ability...remember the 939 4800+ was near the top of the clock and would almost never give you more than 200-400Mhz overclock and you had to fight it pretty hard...but I think these AM2 cpu's are quite different honestly.

I totally agree: this wonderful little 4600+ I've got for my customer is really shining in my eyes. I wonder if the opty's will see a similar increase in clockability.... that's a heartening thought.

I'm going to cut off the IHS from this 4800+ and then put it under a Danger Den TDX waterblock as soon as I can do more than sit in this chair screaming in pain and let everyone know the results

Careful, I think somebody said that some AM2 processors are soldered on. Not sure if that affects the first batches of them or future ones, but I'd hate for you to break it.

Careful, I think somebody said that some AM2 processors are soldered on. Not sure if that affects the first batches of them or future ones, but I'd hate for you to break it.

as far as i know, only the Conroe cpu's are soldered to the IHS (I could be wrong though, but I've only heard them being soldered, not AMD)

The Opteron 165 was always more expensive than the 3800+, it's still ~$80 more at this time.

The opterons are just held to a higher standard of quality I suspect, and this higher quality generally allows for superior overclocks.

I think it's safe to say that if they work in normal boards, they'll overclock pretty well.

Yes, pretty much. But it wasn't always the case, I remember and I'm sure others do as well a point in time where the 165 was very close indeed to the 3800. That was before AMD decided to start charging a premium for the opterons.

The "higher standard of quality" I believe is higher quality silicon as well as more stringent testing.

• 1 month later...

hey just for your guyses info (im sure you allready know) the am2's are soldered on, atleast some of them are, i read about it and worked on my am2 x2 4000 and it was soldered on, which is a good thing since its much better then the old stuff they put in there, now a good lapping job will get you good results

I destroyed my 4600+, not really, i just pitted the top of the processor (IHS) as well as the bottom of the heatsink. This basically cuts out my ability to overclock, because im idling at 41 degrees, and maxing out at 58 degrees, on stock speeds, with Zalman 9500. I used the wrong type of rubbing alcohol, a kind that uses ethenol and other harmful (to metal) substances. So i went and bought some 99% Isopropyl (1% water) from the drug store, and cleaned and reapplied. I got like 1 degree lower....yippity fricken do. Oh well you make mistakes and you learn.

I destroyed my 4600+, not really, i just pitted the top of the processor (IHS) as well as the bottom of the heatsink. This basically cuts out my ability to overclock, because im idling at 41 degrees, and maxing out at 58 degrees, on stock speeds, with Zalman 9500. I used the wrong type of rubbing alcohol, a kind that uses ethenol and other harmful (to metal) substances. So i went and bought some 99% Isopropyl (1% water) from the drug store, and cleaned and reapplied. I got like 1 degree lower....yippity fricken do. Oh well you make mistakes and you learn.

Im sure you can fix it with a little lapping :)

Heres a very cheap lapping kit that includes everything you need:

http://www.easypckits.com/products/hslkwg/

Voids all warrenties btw :D :D :D

I'll have a 1212 santa ana in a couple of weeks. Wish I could get it sooner. Will let everyone know my results. Hopefully someone chimes in sooner with some feedback on how well these chips are running in the NF UltraII-M2.