Free Software Thread

yonton228

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the thread. Sorry I haven't contributed more. Anyways, my only suggestion to your update is taking out the direct download links and maybe posting the software's homepage. That is a lot of work, I know, but it would be great to see the homepage and read more about the software on the publisher's webpage. Anyways, thanks for the work.

I'll take that into consideration. I was thinking about having one link to the programs homepage and one link to the direct download. Most of the updates will be reorganizing the misc software.

-yonton228/timmy

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded the ewido anti spyware app, and I dont know if I am scanning properly. I added a scan, and chose to scan the registry and memory. How do I know if my whole computer is being scanned? I have a partition on my 160 sata for my OS, and the other is for music and such, and then I also have a 40gb ide with some stuff on it. how do I make sure I scan all of the drives?

EDIT: Thanks for compiling this list. I will always use it for reference if someone asks me what a free antivirus is, or any kind of free software for that matter.

^^^ "MS TechNet" - some good programmers were finally rewarded; at least the name Sysinternal is partially preserved and information about the creators are well provided. All of Mark's and Bryce's utilities are great and make up a very good toolkit.

• 3 weeks later...

I really forgot one essential program for encoding DVD:s to AVI-files: Vidomi. It's too good to be free and it's easy to use. You can choose to optimize it for dual-core cpu:s, which make the process pretty fast (5GB+ --> Xvid --> avi-file takes about 30 minutes).

A good guide can be found here: http://www.divxland.org/dvd_divx_guide.php

If you want to use Xvid codecs - recommended - make sure to remove an eventually already existing Xvid codecs package on the system, before you install Vidomi (maybe there are some possible tweaks for solving this, but I haven't found any yet and my small brain can't figure out any other way to avoid Vidomi crashing when using Xvid for encoding). Choose to install the Xvid package which comes with Vidomi; it might be of older date, but it performs great used by Vidomi.

Vidomi downloads: http://www.vidomi.com/download

Edit: One more thing that I'm aware, of own experience, is that you have to download the "lame enc.zip" (bug fix); unzip it and paste the dll-files into the Vidome folder, which means over-write the old ones. This will fix a problem with audio not being in sync when using some bit-rates for compressing with Xvid codecs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...