Free Software Thread

yonton228

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad that everyone is enjoying this thread so far. It took a while to find most of the programs that I originally linked to ( reading reviews,testing, and atcually doing the main post) I will update in the morning as it's gettin kinda late here (1:30am.) Keep up with the free software and enjoy.

-yonton228/timmy

Since Monster Inc bought and destroyed Sygate I’ve been testing different software firewalls. I recommend Safety.Net (www.netveda.com), which might not be the easiest of firewalls for a beginner, but it has a lot of very nice features.

To the category “system maintenance” and “security” there are so many good programs that could be added. One of the best developers and providers of free software can be found at www.sysinternals.com. I think a link would be enough; process monitoring, page file defragmentation, and much much more…

EAC (www.exactaudiocopy.de) is still a must and works great together with lame. Personally I use to improve some of my CD:s and burn them on black CD:s, LP CD-R, produced by www.attentionmedia.se. This still pisses me off: I buy a music-CD for quite some money and usually I get a CD with a whole lot of errors, and worthless copy protection which just makes it even worse.

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) is a fun program when you feel for some easy audio editing.

A good image viewer with some good extra options is “FastStone Image Viewer” (www.faststone.org).

A also want to second Soundx98’s recommendation of GParted. This project has come a long way and is now on a level which makes any commercial partition software unnecessary for most users (…and soon enough I think GParted has passed them, since it supports so many filesystems) and it gives you a spice of Linux. A review can be found here: http://techgage.com/article/gparted_livecd_31-1. Just for clarity: GParted can be used as 1.) integrated program in a Linux distro (obviously), 2.) bootable USB image and 3.) bootable CD image; the last two makes the day for a windows user as well.

hey yonton, u forgot Freespace2 on the Game list :D im sorry i had to do it... its the best space sim ever in my book... EVER! :)

and while ur at it, y dont u put the link to the whole list?

oh, and i noticed we have similar setup :D lol how far u got that 165 on our mobo?

Hey, thanks for reminding me. I dug out my old CD of System Shock (the original) and found some instructions for getting it running on XP. I haven't played that in like, ten years! Talk about nostalgia; 640X480 on a 19" Trinitron...

This forum is good for more than just motherboards. :D

hey yonton, u forgot Freespace2 on the Game list :D im sorry i had to do it... its the best space sim ever in my book... EVER! :)

and while ur at it, y dont u put the link to the whole list?

oh, and i noticed we have similar setup :D lol how far u got that 165 on our mobo?

got a link>>>>I cant find the download for that game anywhere. EDIT: Found it in list in first post. :D

Hey, thanks for reminding me. I dug out my old CD of System Shock (the original) and found some instructions for getting it running on XP. I haven't played that in like, ten years! Talk about nostalgia; 640X480 on a 19" Trinitron...

This forum is good for more than just motherboards. :D

I love older games that I have forgotten for ages. In fact, I found a library that had 5.25" floppy drives and coverted the ORIGINAL Might and Magic to CD! Hot damn that game rocks!!

--

Ok, for more free software why not anything by Free Serif Software? http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/.

They have great alternative software to higher priced conformities like Photoshop, etc. and they no longer require you to give up all your personal information to download. I've always enjoyed DrawPlus and PagePlus.

boo