ATi vs nVidia?

Zeiss120

Oh there he goes! starting a flame war here! Get him the hell out of here!

Sorry but this isnt a real what do you think is best thread:)

I'm here too ask a question about the two chips presented here and a few questions!

Ok so I been hearing all over the place that ATi's cards CAN do AA and Pixel Shadding at the sametime. Unlike nVidia's that cant:confused: Now I heard why ATi can do such a feat is because it has 48pixel pipelines compared too nVidia's at the time 8. However the 7950GX2 series has 48pipelines so I'm wondering can this thing do it? Can it actually do PS and AA at teh same time like ATi's cards?

And the final question..what is that?

111eh7.jpg

ATI cards can do AA and HDR, where Nvidia's can only do one or the other...

And "that", is the Crossfire Master Card you have pictured. That is where you connect the Crossfire Dongle, which then connects to the othre "Slave" Card, which then connects to the Mobo..

I'm with Watsonte on this one. With the ATI cards too you need correct drivers for it to work. Prob similar with nVidia. Both are GREAT for graphics. If you are keeping that mobo then go for nVidia for SLI. And do not get a master card unless you will be going crossfire (2 ATI cards) and then you need a mobo that supports it.

I PERSONALLY do not see the need for dual GPU usage. There is nothing I cannot throw at my x1900xtx in ultra whatever settings that it does not rock the hell out of. I am sure a single 7900gtx would be similar.

Now, if you ARE interested in dual GPU usage, read up on differences between CrossFire and SLI as they are different and have their own pros and cons.

boo

I'm with Watsonte on this one. With the ATI cards too you need correct drivers for it to work. Prob similar with nVidia. Both are GREAT for graphics. If you are keeping that mobo then go for nVidia for SLI. And do not get a master card unless you will be going crossfire (2 ATI cards) and then you need a mobo that supports it.

I PERSONALLY do not see the need for dual GPU usage. There is nothing I cannot throw at my x1900xtx in ultra whatever settings that it does not rock the hell out of. I am sure a single 7900gtx would be similar.

Now, if you ARE interested in dual GPU usage, read up on differences between CrossFire and SLI as they are different and have their own pros and cons.

boo

Totally agree M8, both make fantastic cards, ATI is what i buy the most as they always seem to come down in price more quickly than Nvidia! :D

Kind of worthless argument both have great cards neither is a clear cut winner. Unlimited funds I would be buying an ATI powered crossfire watercooled system over quad SLI but what card (s) really depends on tons of diffrent things no the least of which what games and how much fiddeling you mind with drivers what resoulution just to start. At my price range the 7900GS/GT look pretty good untill directx 10 comes out though I like many had issues with my last one.

Reportedly ATI has better visual quality at the same settings with less optimisaton in the code drawing. That is one reason multi funtion settings doont work as well they are already using them to get the frame rate they have.

I am fairly certain Nvidia cards can do AA and HDR....

YES THEY DO

People saying they don't was just a myth and a rumor, based on the fact that Oblivion didn't support HDR and FSAA at the same time.... BUT, ATI made a patch for it to work on their cards, something nVidia didn't and of course that started all the fuzz and the myth and the lies.

Fact: Oblivion DOESN'T support FSAA and HDR working together.

Fact: ATI made a patch for FSAA and HDR to work together.

Fact: HL2 Episode one works with HDR and FSAA together with both ATI and nVidia.

Fact: some people should ONLY open their mouths when they put food in them, and someone should tell them to close them before chewing :D

Which brand is better???????? Before 2006 I believed ATI was better, they released drivers every 32 days and their cards usually performed better in the games I liked (D3D)... but now I am not sure: people are reporting a ton of problems with ATI Catalyst drivers and new cards.

But then i am using nVidia cards since 2005 and they are filled with bugs too, SLI is a ton of problems but once it works well is sweet. This new 7950GX2 doesn't work well with today's drivers, and the real problem is how nVidia release official drivers each decade!! :mad: well actually every 90 days, which is A LOT. These new 91.47 still have bugs with this card: individual game profiles stop working after long Windows sessions, and you are forced to reboot because the multi-gpu configuration, necesary for each game, is lost and only the global one works, which is all bad because some games require diferent settings.

IMO right now the best video card is an old GForce2 MX400... :mad:

:D

As sorrento said - its a myth - my nVidia card can do HDR + AA fine in the few games I have that support HDR - not tried oblivion.

I was put off ATI a long time ago - with my Rage Pro I would literally have to swap between different drivers to play different games for example there wasn't one single driver at the time that would run quake 2, jedi knight and tomb raider without issues - I quickly purchased a voodoo card for the rendering which worked pretty much flawlessly. Ironically I ordered an ATI Rage Fury after this but they shipped the wrong card to me and I ended up with a TNT2 Ultra - and I never looked back - I have yet to see any serious issues with an nVidia driver which wasn't v. quickly addressed, and in 7+ years of using nVidia cards I can only remeber 2 major problems - both of which could be worked around by either going back a driver or using the latest beta drivers.

Also I wouldn't believe everything you've seen over the years about ATI v nVidia image quality - as a number of times I've seen write ups on this matter - did my own testing with the cards and drivers in question and found that their results weren't valid as they were comparing performance quality (default on nVidia) against better/balanced quality (default on ATI) - although nVidia upto the 9590 did have some texture banding issues which ATI didn't regardless of quality mode.

From casual observation amongst the experiences of friends and family using ATI or nVidia I can safely say ATI has been a much bumpier road and I've never once regretted sticking to nVidia for my desktop machines, however my laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon GPU and I've had absolutely no problems with it - and it looks fantastic image quality wise - although thats partly due to the high quality display on the laptop which has a "shiny" look.

As for the cards in question - I'd say the 7900GS or GT would be the wisest option - some of them are pretty cheap now and can handle just about anything you can throw at them unless you like to play at crazy high resolutions with FSAA and AF maxed.

Actually I'd prolly stick with the 6800 until you've got a better CPU - infact unless you really have super demanding gaming needs your 6800 should play everything out now without any problems in high quality.

I have problems with FEAR in max setting:p

But its set too regular mod right now and it runs great. I was just wondering because I just got a laptop and the bug hit me again to upgrade. The ONLY reason why I havent is because of the whole talk about the quadcore AMD coming and thats the ONLY reason why I havent done so.....and also the DX10 cards.

Haven't tried FEAR singleplayer on this rig yet since getting the new GPU, but I play FEAR combat MP and have all settings maxed except soft shadows off - mostly coz I prefer the look of hard shadows in FEAR - and I'm getting 160-200fps running around with no players on the map, and rarely drops under 60fps in combat.