DFI NF590 SLI-M2R/G AM2 probems

Guest DaddyD302_merged

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DaddyD302
Hmm perhaps still remnants of your experiment with the nvidia stuff. do you have like a windows PE disk? Or a live linux cd? Run those, and see how stable / unstabe your system is. Might as well take software out of the box of issues that could be affecting you.

What's a PE disk? I was thinking about that, and I thought be rolling back, I could get rid of the problem, was I wrong? Another thing I thought, could it be my firewall acting up?

Its because of the funky memory dividers, heres a chart to see how it works.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1542/am...liers8009sg.jpg

Yeah, I saw that one before, and I get the speed I want on the memory, but when I tighten the timings like to 4-4-4-12 instead of having everything on auto the speed drops down for some reason.

Cant get FSB over 280, does anyone else have problems running like 9x300 and so? I heard this mobo should be able to run 350 at least.

Yeah, I saw that one before, and I get the speed I want on the memory, but when I tighten the timings like to 4-4-4-12 instead of having everything on auto the speed drops down for some reason.

Cant get FSB over 280, does anyone else have problems running like 9x300 and so? I heard this mobo should be able to run 350 at least.

What are the timings at the auto setting is giving you?

I can't get over 280 either. :(

What's a PE disk? I was thinking about that, and I thought be rolling back, I could get rid of the problem, was I wrong? Another thing I thought, could it be my firewall acting up?

PE = Preinstallation Environment (In this case)

Look for Bart PE, or something akin to that. It is a live Cd for Windows XP / 2000 / 2003. Basically you can run a limited windows 2000 / Xp / etc kernel off of a live cd. Very good for removing especially nasty crapware components, and evaluating a system without engaging it's hard drive or software. Network support can be enabled however on mostmore advanced Netowrk on Chipset implememtnations one would have to add specific drivers etc. However for verifying memory and hardware. You can run Prime off of these. Same as with a linux live cd.

Lets you see if it's your windows install thats pooched. And yes, could be a mess up with Nvidia Built in Firewall (read hardwae accelerated TCP/IP stack), etc. as you were playing with it with your experiment.

What are the timings at the auto setting is giving you?

I can't get over 280 either. :(

Auto setting is giving me 5-5-5-18, but I wanna have it 4-4-4-12. But the memory speed just goes down when i tighten the timings :mad:

Guest DaddyD302
PE = Preinstallation Environment (In this case)

Look for Bart PE, or something akin to that. It is a live Cd for Windows XP / 2000 / 2003. Basically you can run a limited windows 2000 / Xp / etc kernel off of a live cd. Very good for removing especially nasty crapware components, and evaluating a system without engaging it's hard drive or software. Network support can be enabled however on mostmore advanced Netowrk on Chipset implememtnations one would have to add specific drivers etc. However for verifying memory and hardware. You can run Prime off of these. Same as with a linux live cd.

Lets you see if it's your windows install thats pooched. And yes, could be a mess up with Nvidia Built in Firewall (read hardwae accelerated TCP/IP stack), etc. as you were playing with it with your experiment.

Whoa, remeber you're talking to a newbie here, something like that might make my brain exploded, lol. Well I don't use Nvidia, I'm not sure what you're taliing about, I use Zonealarm. I never installed it when it came up during installation. So basically, I look in the Windows XP CD for this Bart PE? If I find it what do I do then?

Whoa, remeber you're talking to a newbie here, something like that might make my brain exploded, lol. Well I don't use Nvidia, I'm not sure what you're taliing about, I use Zonealarm. I never installed it when it came up during installation. So basically, I look in the Windows XP CD for this Bart PE? If I find it what do I do then?

Ok. No PE isn't really on the Windows CD. The WIndows PE isn't usually available to us normal people. "BartPE" is something someone made that acts like Microsofts Preinstallation Environment. Like A linux Live CD, you can boot the computer on it, and it runs windows. Just off the cd. If that checks out and it boots properly, and you can run some of the apps on it.. then your system should be fine.

Secondly. Yes, even without knowing it, you use Nvidia for Networking which means whether you turned it on or not, or installed the app for controlling it from your mobo cd, Your chipset on that motherboard made by nVidia provides a firewall, and hardware network acceleration. This is what gives it the ability for stuff such as:

Load Balancing, network dual link, first packet, etc. It's because nVidia investd a whole whack of transistors in the southbridge to networking.

IMHO Zonealarm is a craptacular app that is completely unneccessary with Nvidia Net adapters since at least the Nforce 4 series. In addition i strongly recommend to all of my clients to use a router w/Nat and hardware firewall vs any software firewall. With the exception being an openBSD or Linux box with a well setup IPTABLES / IPCHAINS Firewall (software, but not on your box wasting cycles), or in many cases a well setup nvidia Active Armour (???) firewall.

(correct me if i am wrong, anyone who has experienced craptastic results with the Hardware Firewall nvidia provides w/ Nforce 4, and 5xx series)

Eitherway, nvidia does your net adapter and integrated it into the southbridge so drivers for your network adapter come from nVidia, and you most assuredly use nVidia stuff for networking. Also, te software you installed previously directly played with it, and it's hardware firewall settings.

Guest DaddyD302

Well last night while downloading some music my computer crashed. It tells me it's Nvidia's fault. So I looked into the folders and discover, theres two Nvidia folders, nvidia, and Nvidia2. So I decided to unistalled all the Nvidia files and was planning on cleaning them with driver cleaner. I reboot, and hit F8 to get into safe mode.

All the sudden, my mouse refuse to work. Tried rebooting and using the adapter, nothing, refuse to work. I switched back to my old mouse, again, it refuse to work. I tried the adapater on it and reboot, it refuses to work, when I got onto windows, I get a messager a mouse was found but installation failed.

I didn't realize for some odd reason, when I unistall all the Nvidia drivers, it disabled my USB. I never had this problem before. Everytime I try installing new Nvidia drivers, I always uninstall, then reboot and use driver cleaner. I got kinda lazy and didn't use it a few times. That must of been when I installed Nvidia2 onto the system.

Well at least this time I ddin't have problems installing windows, although I am concern, I reinstall the quick way after deleting the old partition, instead of doing it the long way so windows can delete the old partition. Well as it turns out after I installed all the drivers, including the moniter, and went to reboot, I got BSOD.

Reinstall windows again, the quick way, and so far no problems. Shoould I be worry that I install windows the quick way, instead of the old slower way? I am worry that by installing it the quick way, I didn't delete any problems I had with the old partition if it's still there, even though I deleted it and reinstalled.

Theres a topic on the nvidia nzone forums about how Nvidia's RAID and WD Harddrives don't get along to well. But at least we can both have a sigh of relief that the poster and some other people's problem was the RAID arrary degrading over time and having errors while the harddrive is fine on another computer.

Now I wish I also spent a few more on the Seagates too.

Guest DaddyD302
Theres a topic on the nvidia nzone forums about how Nvidia's RAID and WD Harddrives don't get along to well. But at least we can both have a sigh of relief that the poster and some other people's problem was the RAID arrary degrading over time and having errors while the harddrive is fine on another computer.

Now I wish I also spent a few more on the Seagates too.

Oh man I wish I knew that earlier before I bought mine. Anyhow, you think that might of caused the mouse not to work? I am clueless on wtf happened there. Another question, is deleting the old partition and doing a quick install a good idea? I mean I really wanted to erased all those problems I had when the mouse went bad. Having a 500G HD, I really didn't want to reinstall windows the slow way, which I heard was the proper way to get rid of any old data. Last time I tried that it took over 2 hours to install. The quick way only took 30 minutes. Is that true, or can I get rid of it, by just deleting the partition?

Update: Well, lol I'm such an idiot. The ram was the reason why windows wasn't corrupt this time. I didn't have this ram when I first installed windows, I had the OCZ 5400, and Corsair, and they were the reason why windows kept getting corrupted. This ram is sweet is all I gotta say. Well I hope this helps others avoid problems. I'm at 2.74Ghz, and my timings are at 4-4-4-10[OCZ rates it at 4-5-4-15] at 2.25V.