Sign in to follow this  
s10man69

What do you think of a "Chromed" CM Stacker??

What would you do with the plastic parts? I assume to coat the case (since it's steel) you'd go with electroplating, but getting the same shine on the plastic bits would be next to impossible.

Granted, I'd paint them a different color to go with the chrome anyways, but still....

there was another thread just recently that talked about chroming. they found some paint that costs like $5000/gallon that you can paint the chrome on. the website looked pretty cool. they were chroming lamborghinis, shoes, and all kinds of stuff with the paint.

Guest Blooz1

Ok, first some background - I was in the electroplating industry for about 20 years as a Quality Control Manager, so I know a bit about the subject.

Decorative nickel can be done to look just as good as "chrome". If you read that link I posted, now you know why it's hard to find true "chrome" anymore. All plating of this type has to be done in layers - usually, first copper (for adhesion), then matte nickel, then bright nickel. More than one layer of bright nickel wouldn't work - it'll "peel" (flake off).

Only the steel parts would be able to be plated. Any aluminum or plastic would have to be removed, as would all switches and wiring. The outside panels would also have to be stripped of all paint, either by sanding, chemically, or both! It'd be a lot of work just to prep the case, work best done by you, not the plater (expense)!

This is starting to turn into more of a pain then it's worth. I may just paint it Metallic Silver, or try some of that "Chrome Paint" on another case of mine, and see how it turns out, and Clear Coat the hell out of it...

Considering if the place can even do it, I'd have to go to the next county over and have it done.

Guest Blooz1

s10man69, most "chrome paint" can't be clear coated (sorry!) - it'll turn a dull grey if clear coated!

Now, I've never tried it myself, but this is what I've seen other people report over the past year or two!

s10man69, most "chrome paint" can't be clear coated (sorry!) - it'll turn a dull grey if clear coated!

Now, I've never tried it myself, but this is what I've seen other people report over the past year or two!

I've heard this as well. If you're gonna try it do it on something you don't care about ruining first.

The main problem I could see with plating besides being rather pricy is getting it to fit back together when it's done. Many cases are a tight fit in the first place to reduce case vibrations. Then if you added more metal to it, it may or may not fit back together.

I've often thought of chrome or nickel plating the internal structure of a case cause it would make the final mod look so much better, but I never wanted to find out how much it would really cost me to do it ;)

Absolutely right there Winters Fury!! Apart from the cost and the need for rigorous preparation, the reassembly could be very difficult as far as clearances are concerned. Doors only - well that might work - but case and doors sounds unlikely to work at all. Even screw holes and threaded holes get coated with chrome so, along with increased panel thickness causing misalignment - fitting everything back is fraught with hassle.

A tad OT - but the failure of Vantec's Stingray WC kit is down to this problem of extra thickness. The metal securing-frame screwed to the block by countersunk screws is a reasonable, functionable system - if some fool hadn't decided that they should be chromed after they had been manufactured and had the countersink recesses drilled in them. The extra coating of metal meant that the screws didn't sit flush to the frame - and therefore prevented the WC block from contacting the GPU face - result the end of the scale heat reading of 155 that caused one reviwer to remove the g-card from the loop and blame weak push-pin springs for the problem.:confused:

Don't forget to price in the Raybans!:cool: ;)

i think it would be cool to chrome the inside of the stacker and leave the outside the brushed metal. i just got the stacker side window from newegg.com for only 15+5(S&H).

mirrachrome (8 oz. for $150) would probably be enough to do the inside of the case. about the same price as the other options mentioned here. pictures of some PC cases near the bottom of the page.

i think it would be cool to chrome the inside of the stacker and leave the outside the brushed metal. i just got the stacker side window from newegg.com for only 15+5(S&H).

mirrachrome (8 oz. for $150) would probably be enough to do the inside of the case. about the same price as the other options mentioned here. pictures of some PC cases near the bottom of the page.

Only problem I can see with that stuff is that the person applying it has to have a paint sprayer and be comfortable using it. It is kinda pricy, but so is plating so I guess it would all work out well. Hmmm... if I can get the extra cash (which I doubt) when I finally make my quad core next year (I think I'll spend all my cash making the computer) I'll have to pick some of that up and do my cases frame and inside parts and such...