What fluid for wc setup?

carholmes

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watsonte, do you use Fluid XP Extreme and if so how does it work out for you? What sort of temps are you getting with that stuff? And also, just out of curiosity, what pump and rad are you using? I've heard about Fluid XP but I thought that having a fluid that is non-conductive was usually a trade off for good temps.

I use Fluid XP+ Extreme and it's AWESOME (this is only my first watercooling setup, though)

My CPU only gets to 28-33c load (dual Prime95) depending on the ambient temperature of the room.

The added security of it being non conductive makes me sleep easier, though a certain amount of caution should be used anyhow.

Watsonte, do you use Fluid XP Extreme and if so how does it work out for you? What sort of temps are you getting with that stuff? And also, just out of curiosity, what pump and rad are you using? I've heard about Fluid XP but I thought that having a fluid that is non-conductive was usually a trade off for good temps.

I am running with a Laing D5 pump, aka the 12v DD-D5 at Danger Den, a Black Ice Stealth 240 GTS, and Fluid XP Ext.,

My load temps are 39-40C on a hot day...idles around 33C at the settings you see in my sig...

GFX cards idle at 38C and on a Full load 44C...I also am running very low CFM fans, like 1000RPM so relatively silent....

Sorry, I just can't recommend anytihng other than distilled water plus an anti-algae fluid. It's far cheaper with as good a performance as you're going to get.

Spending money on 'non-conductive' fluids is a waste as they'll still break just as much stuff as distilled water if it leaks.

If you're going for the look, fine get what you will. But from a pure performance (and safety) standpoint anything else is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

If you want additives that are pre-mixed Fluid XP is the best period....followed by MCT-5 / 40, Fluid XP and MCT products are both non-conductive making small leaks easy to clean up, if you looking for cost effective, Zerex and Distilled water...

I'm going to use MCT-5. Well see how good it works.

I'm going to use MCT-5. Well see how good it works.

I have used MCT-5 as well, It works very well also...my temps were higher by 2-3C all around...but really thats not bad at all...

And yeah like Dan said it is more expensive to buy those products...but come on you gotta like the UV Reactivness...;)

Anybody tried Valvoline Zerex Racing Supercoolant? "A NASCAR-proven cooling system additive that provides a 25% improvement over conventional glycol-based engine coolants."

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/pr....asp?product=96

Happy uses it...mixed with distilled water...atleast I am fairly certain he uses it...

Danger Den sells it in a more reasonable size...Here

I use distilled water and antifreeze. I have had a couple of potentially nasty leaks, too. Got some of the distilled/anti-freeze mix running out of my waterblock (had an oopsie with the cover screws) and down my motherboard... while the computer was on. Other than the dirty pants I got when I realized why I had air running through my loop, everything is fine.

The other thing to realize, is that some of the touted "non-conductive fluids" are basically what is described above. De-ionized water (not sure what de-ionized is.... but basically, it's contaminant free) and one of the glycols (ethylene or propylene.... can't remember which). I believe FluidXP even has those exact ingredients listed on the label.

I can't swear to some of the brand new stuff.... they might be using a coolant from Area-51 or something from Tatooine. But, my money is with distilled water and anti-freeze until they come up with something as good as that mix, and doesn't cost me an exorbitant amount of fundage.