Sign in to follow this  
z0de

Evercool VC-RE broke?

Hi,

I resently got a Evercool VC-RE and it worked great. but after taking everything out of my case for a psu/ram/hard drive/cpu heatsink and fan upgrade my VC-RE is making a loud grinding noise like a dying hardrive (im sure the noise is coming from the fan). Nothing is blocking the fan from spining, have i broken it?

if you put your finger on the fan (to stop it completely), does the noise stop? check the fan on your graphics card also, since it is in the same general area and could be source of the noise. you can also remove the graphics card from the computer and turn it on. of course it wont boot, but the VC-RE will get power and spin up allowing you to check and see if the graphics card is the trouble or not.

the fan is clear and the noise stops when i touch it. i changed a few settings in ITE smart guardian and its quiten down a bit but still 'grinds'. whats the best tems to set for ITE for the chipset?

sorry for posting in the wrong place.

if it "grinds" then you probably have a bad fan and you better replace it before it stops working all together. just get another VC-RE and switch 'em out. (i know, i know, easier said than done. but better to err on the side of caution. dont want your chipset to burn up b/c of a dead fan.)

Yea, I was planning to do that but though I would check here incase I was missing something. I wonder what I did to it thou as it was perfect pre upgrade but post upgrade I thought was loosing a hard drive. Any ideas what causes a fan to go bad?

maybe you pushed on the blades and got the whole thing out of aligment. by accident of course, but it probably doesn't take much pressure and mess the fan up. just a guess. after a while you will learn that things will just go wrong. all you can do is fix em :)

maybe you pushed on the blades and got the whole thing out of aligment. by accident of course, but it probably doesn't take much pressure and mess the fan up. just a guess. after a while you will learn that things will just go wrong. all you can do is fix em :)

Or buy your way out ;)

that means ive just ordered a new fan btw