Sign in to follow this  
sasquatch1313

Not video card, so motherboard?

Greetings all,

I have been having some problems with my video output being corrupted and posted about it in the video card forums. The post is here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62264 it contains some of the background information. Since that post the problems grew worse, in that the system refused to boot about 50% of the time and left two diagnostic lights on, which is a problem detecting the video card. The few thread responses confirmed my thought that I needed a new video card. I ordered new card (ATi X1900XT) and plugged it in tonight and was greeted by the same thing, 2 diagnostic leds and no boot. I also tried using it in both the upper and lower x16 pci-express slots and got the same result - no boot.

I now think that the video card may be fine (unless I got real unlucky and I got a brand new dead card). So I am asking if there is another component that may be the culprit. My next thought is the motherboad. So that is what I am going to be replacing next unless anyone has a better suggestion. Thanks,

Guest caffeinejunkie

Have you tried running the computer with bare minimum (cpu, gfx, one module in dimm2)?

Hi sasquatch,

Here are my recommendations.

1. Remove all components from the case

2. Follow cj's recommendation in post #2 and use the NF4 Build Guide as your reference manual - it can be found in my sig

3. Perform a full and proper CMOS clear

4. Make sure that all four power connectors are securely fastened to the board

5. In your BIOS make sure that PCIEx is selected as the first video device. You can find that in the PnP/PCI Config menu, it is called Init Display First, the choices are PCIEx and PCI. My PC will boot with my XT with either selected, but ideally it should be set to PCIEx first

6. Try to boot

Thanks for the quick replies, thats why this board is so helpful.

Anyway, I completed disassembled the computer and hooked up the bare minimum: cpu, graphics, 1 (and then 2) sticks of memory. And it booted right up without a problem.

My next thought - power supply? I know seasonics are good but have problems with DFI boards (I have the cold boot problem) even with revision A02. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Sasquatch1313

Guest caffeinejunkie
Thanks for the quick replies, thats why this board is so helpful.

Anyway, I completed disassembled the computer and hooked up the bare minimum: cpu, graphics, 1 (and then 2) sticks of memory. And it booted right up without a problem.

My next thought - power supply? I know seasonics are good but have problems with DFI boards (I have the cold boot problem) even with revision A02. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Sasquatch1313

My first thoughts were the psu thats why I went straight to bareminimum. It might have just been a load balancing issue so try and leave the x1900 its own rail getting the harddrives and all optical/extras on the second. If that still doesnt work then an OCZ GameXStream might be in order. Oh and if you do get the load balancing to work you can try the cap mod for cold boot:

go to radioshack get a .22uf metal film cap and put it on the parrallel switch (make sure .22uf not 22)

IMG_0605.jpg

The end that says "H.D.D. Led" will get plugged into the motherboard ATX power heade

Or you can ditch the Seasonic via eBay and replace it with any of the latest Fortron or OCZ 600W or 700W power supplies.

To future proof, the Fortron 700W or OCZ GameXStream 700W are solid choices.

Thanks guys,

I am going to get a new power supply. I have played around with where stuff is plugged in without much luck. I really should have seen this sooner, the problems started when I added the Linux hard drive to the system.

Thanks again for the help, thats what makes DFI boards the best!

Sasquatch1313

Yeah, what they said... ;o)

That power supply is definately suspect. You'll be able to shift it via eBay no problems (to a non-DFI'er as for some reason those S12's wont play nice with DFI boards) - and sort yourself out either the FSP FX600/700 or the OCZ GameXtreme 600/700. All 4 of these power supplies are awesome...