Kinston Hyper-X BH-5 on DFI (Lanparty SLi-D)

Hello again,

I know that the NF4 section details the various suitable RAM modules for DFI rigs and also stated that Kingston is not recommended.

Why is this? Is it to do with the PCB since the modules I have are winbond BH-5 which are used in many other DIMMS such as the ones from OCZ and GEiL.

My rig was assembled last night and are now ready to configure the BIOS and install OS but would liketo clear up a few questions first.

thanks in advance

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again,

I know that the NF4 section details the various suitable RAM modules for DFI rigs and also stated that Kingston is not recommended.

Why is this? Is it to do with the PCB since the modules I have are winbond BH-5 which are used in many other DIMMS such as the ones from OCZ and GEiL.

My rig was assembled last night and are now ready to configure the BIOS and install OS but would liketo clear up a few questions first.

thanks in advance

Its not recommended because for some reason or another the two just dont get along....a lot of experience regarding the many issues of trying to get Kingston Ram to work with DFI boards led to Kingston becoming RAM that is not recommended...

Hmm that does not bode well with my build then.

Just hope I can configure them to work since I dont/cant afford to outlay money since purchasing the other hardware.

These Kingstons were taken from my old rig.

Could anyone provide me with the best links on this site to configuration of BH-5 on these boards

Thanks again

Hmm that does not bode well with my build then.

Just hope I can configure them to work since I dont/cant afford to outlay money since purchasing the other hardware.

These Kingstons were taken from my old rig.

Could anyone provide me with the best links on this site to configuration of BH-5 on these boards

Thanks again

Well good luck...some people around the forum have gotten them to work, but the general consensus is that the two just dont like each other...

Kingston is the same as all the other memory companies, they purchase IC's and PCB's then assemble them. I tried a couple sets of HyperX BH-5 on DFI boards and they performed just as well as any other BH-5 based memory..

Kingston is the same as all the other memory companies, they purchase IC's and PCB's then assemble them. I tried a couple sets of HyperX BH-5 on DFI boards and they performed just as well as any other BH-5 based memory..

Ah thats what I wanted to hear! (And thanks guys for the very speedy responses :D )

Is there any info you could provide me with in BIOS DRAM configurations for these modules? :)

Please forgive my ignorance, this is the first AMD rig ive owned in years and also the first DFI board ever. Ive always gone the Intel / ASUS route before and finally made the jump to a more complex system :)

Here are some basic BH-5 settings that will get you up and running. Once you get that far they can be tightened up some more..

CPC.......................................................Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 02

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 02

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 05

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 02

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 10 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 17 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 3684 Cycles

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. - Auto

DQS Skew Value................................ - 0

DRAM Drive Strength........................... - Level 4

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... - Level 2

Max Async Latency............................. - 7.0ns

DRAM Response Time............................ - Fast

Read Preamble Time............................ - 5.0

IdleCycle Limit............................... - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter............................... - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. - 16 x

Bypass Max.................................... - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity........................... - Disable(4 Bursts)

Most of my stuff hangs right around DDR500 with 3.3 - 3.4 volts

OK thanks,

Similar to what I have found from my own testing when these modules were in my old intel rig.

Just have to make sence of all the other BIOS options now, These boards really do have a wealth of settings :)

EDIT: do you actively cool these modules?

OK thanks,

Similar to what I have found from my own testing when these modules were in my old intel rig.

Just have to make sence of all the other BIOS options now, These boards really do have a wealth of settings :)

EDIT: do you actively cool these modules?

With most BH-5 they need active cooling when running at such high voltages...With the old Mushkin Redline I used an 80 mm Fan moving air over them....

Yeah thought so. Ive angled a 80mm fan to blow across the modules with air flow also generated from the SI-120 HSF which over hangs the DIMMS.

Am I right in saying that the yellow DIMM slots are best for these modules?

Thanks again, all this help is much appreciated :)