Sign in to follow this  
Guest Halvis_merged

NONE MORE "off topic"

Guest Halvis

So. Im 47. My sons 17. I learned to play bass guitar.... well, lets just say a long time ago. So, a few years ago, my son exhibits an interest. So I teach him. (and this doesnt just apply to him, but to most all kids) Naturally, I expose him to the classics I learned. But the thing is, most ALL kids his age seem to dig this stuff... at least those that are musicians... So he burns a cd this weekend... I listen to it, starts off with three red hot chili peppers songs... nice enough... then The Who/My Generation, King Krimson/Thrak, Blue Oyster Cult/Don't Fear the Reaper, Pink Floyd.... Led Zep... Black Sabbath/War Pigs!

OK, Im diggin it as much as he is, but it occurs to me... that would be like if, in 1973, I was diggin on the GLENN MILLER ORCHESTRA! (not Steve Miller Band)

Wow. food for thought.

Pretty much all the guys I know that are actually good at guitar love older rock, where there was much more talent and skill involved than in todays mainstream stuff - though of course there's a lot of tough riffs, or just long butt ones (think Tool).

Then of course there's some great newer bass guitar stuff too, again Tool, Rage Against the Machine, and of course the Chili Peppers. I think anybody that wants to be good will probably play all three of these, or at least try to. Then there's the old standbys from back in the day are a great starting point.

Too bad punk (and thier general lack of skill) still seems predominant on the radio....glad I have Sirius.

when my son entered hs i bought him an ibanez bass, he also took up band and played the 3/4" bass (upright)...of couse being 49 myself, i let him listen to some of the stuff i like, and he liked most of it (70'S rock)

...flea is one of the best bassist out there imho

OK, Im diggin it as much as he is, but it occurs to me... that would be like if, in 1973, I was diggin on the GLENN MILLER ORCHESTRA! (not Steve Miller Band)

Wow. food for thought.

It occured to me that the people I knew that played guitar back in the 70's were listening to John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson, etc. And I was suprised to find out how many songs by those artists were covered by Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, J Geils, Eric Clapton, etc. The song Crossroads made popular by Eric Clapton and Cream was originally done by Robert Johnson back in the 30's.

Back in the 70's I wasn't diggin' on Glenn Miller either, but then I don't see many kids today diggin' on the Carpenters or Jim Croce. Some styles of music are eternal, while others are just a fad. Disco was a style that came and went, I never cared for it and never will, even though it was very popular back in the 70's. Today you have Rap, and it's very popular. In the future those Rap fans will be saying "WTF was I thnking, Rap is CRap".

Although most people continue to listen to the songs that were popular right after they graduated high school because it brings back memoeries of good times, there are certain songs that span generations. The ones that last forever are the ones that make you feel, not always the ones that make you think. Those songs by Bob Dylan from back in his early days when he had something to say just don't get the same recognition that they once did. Times change, and so do attitudes, but as long as the song can reach out and touch you then it will live forever. Just look at the songs, What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong and Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding. I don't see either of these songs being done by any heavy metal bands, but I'm sure those heavy metal artists know and respect those songs.

I'm amazed he likes BOC, but there are far better songs than the overplayed Reaper. Their's an older compilation/live album they did called "Career of Evil: The Metal Years" you might want to introduce him to. Remeber getting that late in high-school, even the headbangers who scoffed BOC liked it.

Although most people continue to listen to the songs that were popular right after they graduated high school because it brings back memoeries of good times, there are certain songs that span generations. The ones that last forever are the ones that make you feel, not always the ones that make you think. Those songs by Bob Dylan from back in his early days when he had something to say just don't get the same recognition that they once did. Times change, and so do attitudes, but as long as the song can reach out and touch you then it will live forever. Just look at the songs, What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong and Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding. I don't see either of these songs being done by any heavy metal bands, but I'm sure those heavy metal artists know and respect those songs.

Very, very well said.

(and those are some of my favorites I've forgotten about, thanks. :))

Music is constantly evolving. In high school, my parents were still listening to Benny Goodman and the Big Band sound, and my father said the Beatles are just a fad. I disagreed, and I was right. As a kid, the Big Band sound was old fashioned, and I knew no one that listened to it except older people. When I got older, in my 40's, I had a girl friend with kids in jr high, and they thought the music I listened to in high school as old fashioned and wimpy. Blew me away. Each generation has their own music, and each generation of parents will think the same things. “What do kids today see in the noise that is labeled music?” Rap = CRap. There is still some good stuff being done today, but most hurts my ears and defies the definition of what music is, but then again, my parents thought the same things of my high school music, and parents today and tomorrow will also.

Guest Halvis
I'm a fan of progressive rock myself. I like ELP, Yes, Genesis, and groups like that.

Oh Yah! Back in the day I had to supplement my Fender Precision and Jazz with a Rickenbacker 4001, just so I could attempt to emulate Chris Squire!

Renaissance, Wishbone Ash, Captain Beyond... man those were the days!

Guest Halvis

LOL @ David! Yanno my mother, bless her heart, is 74 and tells me DAILY how much she hates being old, and I tell her it really beats the alternative.

The older I get, the more genres of music I find myself enjoying. About the only ones I just cannot seem to get into are Opera and RAP. I can take Classical in small doses.