NB HSF and 7900GTX

naddie

It's not an issue with anything actually. Single channel memory goes in the orange slot furthest from the CPU, and dual channel goes in both orange. It's not a problem, just how it is. ;)

Ah, last piece of the puzzle...

Single slot memory (either stick) works great! gamed for hours and hours without an issue.

It is NOT the memory. Troubleshooted down to either the motherboard (memory slot) or the CPU (memory controller?).

Which is more likely?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is NOT the memory. Troubleshooted down to either the motherboard (memory slot) or the CPU (memory controller?).

Which is more likely?

Ohh. They won't run in dual channel you say? Well out of the two, the board being the problem is several times more likely. Do you have another CPU you can test with?

Ah, last piece of the puzzle...

Single slot memory (either stick) works great! gamed for hours and hours without an issue.

Which is more likely?

Well I haven't been here all that long. But what i have gathered from my short time here is that the 'expert' boards require some special attention to get up and running correctly. Maybe swap the board for an SLI-DR (non expert) or an Ultra-D. And the 'special attention' = setting up your RAM timings just right.

Oh and the problem with 7900 series of cards was not the ram used. It was vendors shipping the cards with an unstable overclock. This is supposed to be sorted out now.

I tried with stock timings and settings first before messing with anything. Also if what you say is true, then I should still be able to use the yellow slot (the one furthest away from the CPU) on its own, but that caused stability issues without changing anything else onthe BIOS. It is okay on the orange slot (again, the one furthest aay from the CPU).

And you are wrong about the "overclocked" 7900s because stock-clocked 7900GTXs were also affected. Ask me how I know. ;)

MODS: Can you please move this back to a non-cooling issue troubleshooting thread-area? And change the title to "Memory slot sensitive?" Thanks!

EDIT: I'll elaborate on the 7900 fiasco, as I was smack in the middle of it. It was frustrating to read on the "mainstream tech sites" the nVidia media spin that it was just OCed 7900 series, as tech support forums for the stock-clocked 7900s were also being poured in with issues. Exact same issues, in fact - artifacting. None of us really locked up. Just artifacts and a very slow lock-up when getting back to the desktop (desktop will filcker in and out, eventually your inputs will be ignored, but if you are fast enough, you might be able to shutdown your PC properly using your power button if it is set up in your BIOS/WinXP to shut down with it).

I personally went through 4 EVGA 7900GTX EGS (stock ref cards). All of the product numbers ended in AX. The new product number ended in AR, and are now called the "reloaded" cards. They are redesignd with Infineon memory chips instead of Samsung. We found out that manufacturers were pushing the Samsungs a little too hard with voltages (they weren't rated at 2.0v I believe was what they were using). The Infineon were rated that high, and were used instead.

Now, EVGA did all the troubleshooting themselves (love that company). Not sure if nVidia or any other companies have recognized this fix.

Sure enough, months later, I am still very hapilly playing my games without any artifacts. My troubleshooting proved that it was memory-slot related, and not the card.

Yes - Deepfreeze worked over 24 hrs. :) No artifacts, no lockups, no perf issues.

Anyone have the same GSKILL HZ sticks? What settings are you using for it? A list of your BIOS settings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You might want to check either the stock speed database or the overclocking database...you should be able to find a few overclocks with the HZ's and I would do a search for them...I am fairly certain there was a thread created that talked about HZ's and the timmings people used and so on...

my 7800gt covers up half of my chipset too, it comes a few millimeters from touching it. my chipset is about 46c idle though, i think thats a good idle temp right?

Yeah, for the chipset it's fine. Mine idles at 49C with the stock cooler, and my 6600GT doesn't really cover any of it (it protrudes a little but it's just a thin PCB so it doesn't cover anything).