Sign in to follow this  
naddie

NB HSF and 7900GTX

and try using some of the older drivers maybe the 84.XX... some has some probs with the new 91.Xx

I thought it was 91.xx and on that had support for the 7900 series. Does the 84.xx support 7900s?

maybe its your gfx card...i tested my 79gt with deep freeze and fear and it worked great...then i tryed Trackmania Sunrise, and it artifacted. Again deepfreeze and it started artifacting, and fear didnt run. So...i might be your gfx.

Hey guys let us not forget this is WOW and buggy as any game there is. It does seem to like slower systems I often wonder if the cure is to underclock your system. You might try the 7 series drivers for example 77.77. Make sure you have noting running int he background no IE no temp measurement etc and clean off the desktop. If that doesnt work you might try the 6x series drivers though check to see if they support your card or under clock the video card.

I know that sounds crazy but WOW uses very diffrent tech from most new games and the drivers are optimised for them not for bit maps . The game was more made for a ti4200 than a 7900.

Well, no update yet. I just finished uninstalling all nVidia-realted drivers and re-installing them. i found that the nVidia updated their video drivers (91.31 was my old one, now they are up to 91.47).

I uninstalled all of nvid's chipset drivers, and resintalled it all except for the sound driver (since I have an XFI).

Also updated X-Fi drivers. They seem to require the old driver installed before it can be updated.

I fired up WoW again, so we'll see.

want some good advice for you 7900 series owners,.. just step up to the 7950 because these damn 7900series cards are crap.. I will be stepping up and my total cost will only be $140

First of all, I can't Step-Up my card because it was already stepped up from a 7800GT. Besides, not everyone have an EVGA card. :) The 7900 series is pretty good, actually - especially since they started using Infinion memory chips (Samsung memory was the culprit in the original fiasco).

Anyways, the updated/cleaned drivers didn't help. Reinstalled WIndowsXP and used the latest and greatest drivers - still no go. Instead of hard locking though, WinXP restarts uruptly.

It's really getting under my skin!

Currently running memtest86 AGAIN to make sure memory hasn't gone bad. Though it locked up even before I upgraded to an XFI, I will see if moving my XFI to a different slot would help (logically it shouldn't, but you'll never know).

If that doesn't work, I will try moving my memory from the recommended orange slots to the yellow ones.

Next step after that would be using just one memory stick in single memory chan and see which one is "bad" if any.

Lastly, I would consider the mobo. Then my last resort would be the CPU.

PS: AMD Athlon x2 drivers was installed - so that wasn't the culprit.

Okay, I think it may be the memory slots.

Both memory boots up the PC and tests just fine each on their own.

The slots near the CPU (a yellow and orange) doesn't work on their own (if you only have a single memory stick). Only the Yellow and Orange furthest away fromt he CPU runs single channel memory (1 stick only). Is that suppose to be?

Memory in the Yellow slot (furthest away from the CPU) boots the PC up, but keeps restarting.

Memory in the Orange slot (furthest away from the CPU) boots up just fine into windows (have yet to start WoW).

This is begining to sound like a memory slot issue (and in turn, an issue with the board).

Can any one chime in with more info on this?

This is begining to sound like a memory slot issue (and in turn, an issue with the board).

It's not an issue with anything actually. Single channel memory goes in the orange slot furthest from the CPU, and dual channel goes in both orange. It's not a problem, just how it is. ;)