NB HSF and 7900GTX

naddie

Well, the combo of the two seems to conflict:

EVGA+nbridge.jpg (hope the img is small enough).

As you can see, the HSF of the GTX is blocking more than half of the northbridge HSF!

The stock one was replaced with the VCF copper HSF as suggested by a member (or two) here in DFI. It certainly cooled better, but now that I have GTX (and a new revised card that fixed all the other issues that pertained to the 7900 series fiasco), I am getting hard locks instead of artifacts (all stock speeds) - especially when playing World of Warcraft.

Any suggestions on how to remedy the situation? Not sure if there is an aftermarket HSF for the GTX.

EDIT: Found out that it was very senstive to where I put my memory on the slot (but I can only use one slot, making for single chan use only). Still looking for a solution (RMA?). Read below for more details. Thanks for reading, btw. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, did you run stabililty tests?

when you say all stock speeds? do you mean also cpu/mem or only gpu?

if not only gpu. i suggest you revert to all stock, and in any way, i suggest doing stablilty tests using memtest and prime

then ati tools

then 3dmark

then games

All stock speeds, stock voltages. Crashes under WoW though, but not while normal computing. Doesnt seem to crash at FPS games, but then again, I don't play FPS very long, lol.

dual-Prime95, memtest86, and 3DMark06,05, and 03 stable. Overnight and then some (into the day), so around 16 hours of burnin for each test. I also Primed and 3DMarked at the same time to see if that would recreate the issue, but no.

I will try to reinstall WinXP, but it's a fresh install to begin with. Maybe with different drivers.

dont forget wow is... wow when it comes to bugs :)

also, maybe its on a different hdd or something? bad hdd (just a really small guess :|)

WoW works well on my laptop, though a bit slow.

I'll reinstall Windows again. :/ Any suggestions regarding which versions of drivers to use, or just use the latest? I am espcially concerned with the SATA drivers, since the F6 floppy drivers must be old by now.

You have installed the dual core optimizer from AMD correct?

Doubt it's the chipset HSF being covered halfway.

I doubt it has anything to do with chipset temps though if you are concerned you can always change to SLI mode in the bios and drop your card to the bottom slot with minimal to no loss in gfx performance. I run 2 of these in SLI with the stock chipset cooler with zero heat issues. If the gfx card is the new ingredient (besides the chipset cooler) and "now" you are getting these lockups in wow I'd have to point at the gfx card. May be as simple as trying out a different driver. What was your old gfx card?

This has always been my GFX card. The "new" thing that changed was WoW being installed and played (I'm new to WoW, but old enough to now have a lvl 32 char). I never had any stability probs. in fact, as I said, it only hard locks on WoW that I know of.

It only hard locked on me once while playing either FEAR or Q4 (dont reember which one), but as I don't spend the amount of time playing FPSs (cuz they do get boring after a short while) compared to WoW, that may be the reason why they don't lock as often or ever.

WoW, on the other hand, is where I am experiencing the most issue. Being an MMO, it is very frustrating to have it lock on you.

So that should answer the questions that OldGuy had.

I just tried a fan today blowing on the mobo, and still had locks. So you guys are right about it not being the chipset's temp.

I will try a reinstal of WnXP and see if that helps. I'll report back.