My New Project

My water cooling setup finally arrived from danger den today..

picture003ry7.th.jpg

picture002ny7.th.jpg

Ive got my computer all torn apart right now, im gonna start planning out the setup and cutting some holes in my nice case. I need to cut a 1"hole for the fillport and i also gotta cut a hole for my 120MM fan. I gotta run to homedepot tomorrow after school to buy a drill, some hole saws.

pictureio8.th.jpg

Ive never cut a hole in a case or done any kind of mod so im gonna need some help, i need to cut a 1" hole for my fillport and so im gonna buy a 1" hole saw for this but i dont know what size to buy for a 120MM fan?

To cut the holes all i need is a drill and a holesaw right?, and maybe some sandpaper to deburr the hole. im also gonna pick up some cutters for the tubing.

after i get the holes cut ill keep you guys posted with whats going on. ill remember to take alot of pictures.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go. These are about as close as you'll get.

80mm = 3” hole saw

92mm = 3.5” hole saw

120mm = 4.5” hole saw

You might want to find an arbor for the holesaw (so you can actually use it)

Sandpaper or a file to deburr. Just make sure to get metal cutting holesaw.

Awesome link for you:

http://www.mnpctech.com/Fan_Grill_Templates.html

Bill's site is great!

A Dremel, reinforced cutting wheel, and patience!

Seriously, it's easily done with a Dremel - just "measure twice" first and take your time. Cut inside your line, you can always clean it up afterwards.

just got back from homedpot, didnt buy a holesaw yet because for a 4 1/2" holesaw and arbor is was gonna cost bm over 100 dollars. is there any other way to cut the hole or is there somewhere i can take it and pay to get the hole cut?

I've seen them for around $40 elsewhere, they just won't last more than a few cuts probably.

ok i think ive found what ill need for cutting the hole.

homedepot has a Black & Decker 3-Speed Rotary Tool for 30$ then i found some Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-off Wheels for 7$, is there any differece between getting a black and decker rotary tool or the dremel brand, or will either do? i guess i should also get a tool for deburring the hole after it is cut?

just got back from homedepot, picked myself up a 60$ dremel, it came with 2 cutting discs and i thought that would be enough but it wasnt..., got almost the hole circle cut then i ran out of discs, ill have to wait untill tomorrow after school to buy some more discs, then finish cutting the hole. i just cant wait till ill get to start hooking everything up.

I was suprised how easy it was to cut with the dremel, im restoring my 57 ford with my dad right now and im always using grinders and welders and working with sheetmetal, so it wasnt new to me but so far it went pretty easy.