Sign in to follow this  
edjahman

raid 0 with 2 sata hd's on lp sli-dr

I read the tutorial and I did all of the steps. I loaded both of the drivers off of the floppy in the correct order and then windows say that it cannot find any disk drives attached to my computer. I tried to install the second driver on the floppy first and then it wont let me install the first one listed. Windows continues installing and then it will list each of the hard drives as seperate drives. I'm trying to set up 2 sata drives in raid 0. I've tried to do them on the sil controller and it is worse. I'm pretty sure it blue screens. I've been trying to do this for two days now and I haven't gotten anywhere. I just want to a clean install of windows xp on a 2 disk raid 0 array.

How do I wipe the mbr of each drive?? I havent tried to do that.

Also, I'm using an old ide cd-rom to install windows on the pri. ide. so I dont think it interfering with the sata drives.

Help! Please!

Thank You

--EJM

My post from last night was when I was trying to do all of this without a floppy so I went out today and bought an internal one.

Also, How do I get the latest nvidia raid drivers onto a floppy. I heard that the 6.66 raid drivers are the ones to get but I thought you install them from windows.

Screw it. I just read a huge article saying that raid 0 isn't really all that great unless you have a specific reason for it and the failure rate is doubled. It says raid 5 is better or raid 1 for the redundancy.

--EJM

Whatever article that was is correct. Unless you are looking for increased speed and performance why bother with it. With quality drives and a solid backup regiment failure rate is a non-issue.

If Windows sees 2 drives then they are not set up as a RAID 0 array in the bios.

I set the array up with the nvidia raid setup and it says it's one drive but windows will still not recognize it. Is raid 0 really so much faster then sata II ??

Thanks

--EJM

If you mean this tutorial, it should have worked.

http://www.angrygames.com/nf4raid-1.htm

If the system recognizes seperate drives, then the raid is not properly set. I myself use the same turorial each time and never failed, with 3 Raptors or the 2 Maxtors. Try this, after creating the raid, go back to the bios and check Advanced Bios Feature, Hard Disk Boot Priority, you should see your raid setup on there.

I finally got it to format and partition the entire array but now it tries to access the floppy and it says that it cant find the nvraid driver and a whole bunch of other drivers. If i ignore them, windows will continue to install then when it reboots it will blue screen.

--EJM

Did you unpack the drivers before copying them to the floppy?

I cut and pasted all of the files in the nvidia folder on the original floppy that came with the board and put them onto another freshly formatted floppy. It tries to access the floppy but still says that it cant find the first file nvraid.sys which is right on the floppy and its not inside a folder. WTF?

The floppy is hooked up properly. Yes.

--EJM

I just copied the nvidia folder onto a new floppy and i also cut the files inside of the folder and pasted them outside of the folder on the same floppy and im gonna try it now.

I just download the 6.66 drivers and im gonna try the drivers in the sataraid folder. Im just gonna cut the files out of the folder and save them on a floppy, I suppose instead of just the folder itself.