DFI for Dummies?

Howdy all, soo... here's where i'm at. i just built a new PC, and I finally made the jump to AMD. I bought all top end components, MB ,vid, memory etc. and i am honestly not that impressed with my performance.

I have a DFI lanparty UT cfx3200 DR mobo.

I know that the DFI boards are famous fo thier tweakabilty, and that they reach NOWHERE near thier potential out of the box. I also know it's pretty easy to fry your system learning how to over clock and tune.

Here's the rub: I have very little knowledge about most of the BIOS settings available to me. i have done a little bit, setting my mem speeds, getting my RAID going, very small FSB OC. i want to really reach the potential of this sytem i have, but don't know where to start!

Is there some kind of "DFI for dummies" site or guid that anyone could direct me to? or someone willing to take a n00b under his wing and get some good performance out of this sys? i mean, C'mon.... i spent $1700 on components, i want to blow the doors off ths baby!

thanks for taking the time to read my post, and for any help you may be able to offer.

Welcome to The Street.

There is no such thing as DFI for dummies, that would be ASUS. ;)

I would get rid of the 512Mb kingmax sticks, mixing different RAM will probably hold you back from reaching a stable max OC.

First you should update to the latest bios.

Then, as Gipse suggested, read the overclocking guides and follow them step by step to find the max CPU OC and max RAM OC individually, before combining them.

The stock speed database and overclocking database should have similar setups to yours, use the search function to find them and try some of those settings.

Yes!!! Do you're self a favor get the 2 gig kit I have by OCZ there support is awesome and theres always someone home if you know what I mean? They will get you set at the stock DDR 500 wich in turn will give you 2.5ghz on tyou're chip and that is a very good beginning to start and it will help you get familliar with at least a stable refference mark!

Do they mean with lifetime warranty, that over 30 years and the memory breaks down I can still get a new one ?

If you're still using it by then, yes they should. However, you best keep in mind that they won't have it on stock anymore and you'll get replacement in terms of a 1 square mm, body implanted, 48TB memory-enhancement-module... :P

Defualt memory timings on the CFX are terrible. The DRAM config page has to be set up manually.

Do a search on OCZ's forums for CFX3200, OCZ Tony has some very good information on this board in general.

I'll give you some timings for the 2 X 1gig kit so you can get the performance back

They will follow the order you find them on the DRAM page as it's early and my typing sucks

200 01/01

Enable

Enable

Disable

Auto

Disable

Auto

Level 7

Level 2

Auto

Auto

Auto