Sign in to follow this  
WintersFury

Memory dividers for Intel OCing?

Ok, since I have an Intel CPU sitting around and will soon be getting a board to OC it... I have a question. Yes I did search the forums but after a few pages of not finding anything I decided to post here instead.

I've heard that using memory dividers on Intel systems don't work so well? Is this really the case? I honestly doesn't make much sence for it to be, since there are faster processors that run faster using the same speed memory as slower ones... But who knows. I can imagine at a certain point, the memory bandwith becomes a bottleneck, but before that point I would think I would be fine not OCing my memory?

I'm just hoping I can buy DDR800 intead of DDR1000/1066 and still get a good OC going without having to OC my memory much.

Thanks to any who respond.

All memory dividers/straps are not created equal board to board by brand of motherboard or any other criteria even. DDR2 memory has been a pain in the rear for many and in the instance of P4 cpus the strap for the memory is pretty universally working. When you jump on the core 2 duo bandwagon and think to just jump up and run an overclock you may find your feet dragging and stirring up dust.

Stock most boards try and boot with the memory on the 800memory strap and do so stock just fine...if the memory and board will play well together. However when you bust out of the chocks to go to overclocker ville; the memory strap quickly has to change and you then see what your parts choice has brought to you.

What does all that mean in the shortest answer? PC6400 tweaked correctly will be likely way more than enough memory for joe six pack consumer at stock speeds and have a fair amount of head room for a mild overclock.

RGone... :confused:

So let me make sure I'm following you right. It's basically like using dividers on an AMD system?

Make sure the memory and mobo like each other, then when using dividers keep the memory as close to or slightly above the rated speed and you shouldn't run into any bandwith issues unless you get into extreme OCing in which case you'll need to OC the memory some as well?

And I do plan to be using a DFI board, currently have a P4 3.0GHz I'll be using for the time being but in a month or two I may have a Core2Duo. But I'd also want to get one of the LanParty boards for 775 that will be coming out. As I'd imagine they should play nice with Core2

Take a look at this thread-----may help.....

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62901

Appears that the old sage knowledge of only using 1:1 divider is out the window....

Heck----there are guys that argued for dividers on Intel back when the first 875/865 boardsfirs came out----a long time ago....

I always used 1:1----and spent a fortune on RAM.......

Appears to me that that is not necessary any more with DDR2 and lower latencies (a.k.a. more expensive RAM) may not be the end all beat all they used to be.....

Conroe looks VERY appealing to me-----great overclock with mid to inexpensive RAM wil less heat and less power usage-----and the chips outperform the latest top of the line AMDs and cost about $500 less......

Nirvana

Guest YuKoN

here's an explanation, and hopefully i've written it in a manner so you can understand what i mean.

my board is normally (200*4)800fsb. it supports 400 and 533 ddr2. on a fsb/dram divider of 3:4 @ 200fsb =533 ram. Now when i bump the fsb up to 228, that's 228/608 ram. as fsb increases, so does the ram, and you'll hit a wall when the ram maxes out.

so there's times when running faster than mobo supported ram is a benefit. i'm running 667 ram on this board, as 608 (less than the ram is normally rated for) isn't even close to the max. i.e. on an 800 ddr2 supported board- you will see benefits for running ddr2 1000 or 1066.

the other option is to lower the divider. i could lower my divider to the 400 setting of 1:1- and would then have to run 266 fsb(omg 4.7ghz!) to obtain stock ram speeds with 533 ram installed.

the trick is finding that elusive happy medium where everything works good. there's really a lot of factors. chipset limitation is the bottleneck on my series board- pcie freq and video card, n/b to s/b link, fsb, sata/ide controller, ram, and cpu all have limitations. some stuff you can stabilize with a little extra voltage, some stuff you just learn to deal with lol.

i am thinking of building a Conroe and trying to find some answers too.

Is there (or plan) of having Async mem settings in the bios? Basically i dont have the cash to drop for high end ddr2-800 or ddr2-1000. Will i be stuck at 350ish max FSB if i stick with my current ram (667)

platform is too new to really know, but so far, if you have RAM capable of hitting DDR2-800 speeds, you will be just fine

DDR2-800 is a lot cheaper than DDR2-1000

some excellent excellent DDR2-667 is also hitting DDR2-800+ speeds

cant name any modules right off the bat, but a little reading and searching will give it to ya

Thanks man,

I will just have to test it out with my current 667 and see what i can do. I dont think 800 should be too hard with it but 400mhz+ is what i am looking for. I might just sell my 805d, MB and Ram as a combo since it performs well.

Cornrows would be nice but i am stuck with my cheap weave!

i am trying to get some Conroe action

Well i am getting the cash ready and my girlfriend is getting her boot ready (for kicking me in the butt!)

I have been going through alot of old stuff and trying to get me house ready to sell. However, with the cash i am getting from sellin all the stuff around the house i think i will have enough to get what i want.

Shopping list:

Gskill HZ 800 2x1gb

Conroe e6400

Motherboard is still undecided but i will more than likely choose a DS3 for cost/performance althought the P5B-Deluxe WiFi for $209 today was looking nice at the Eggg.

Motherboard is still undecided but i will more than likely choose a DS3 for cost/performance althought the P5B-Deluxe WiFi for $209 today was looking nice at the Eggg.

Why not get a DFI 975x/g? Only $180 at the egg, might be cheaper elsewhere on the net.