Sign in to follow this  
JoshB

Which Video Card?

I only play Quake 3 Arena and will be playing Quake 4 Arena soon. These are the only games I plan to be playing. I am looking to build a new computer with an EVGA 7950 gx2 video card. Are the 7950 gx2 cards the best card for these games or would another type of card be better? Thanks guys.

I only play Quake 3 Arena and will be playing Quake 4 Arena soon. These are the only games I plan to be playing. I am looking to build a new computer with an EVGA 7950 gx2 video card. Are the 7950 gx2 cards the best card for these games or would another type of card be better? Thanks guys.

To be honest I am fairly certain your current power supply would not provide the power a 7950GX2 would need....

Really a 7900GT, as long as your not playing at 1920x1200 or some very high resolution would do the trick for half the price....

What size monitor and what resolution to you plan on using?

I am not necessarily looking to save money on a card. I like to build really fast computers thats why I am looking at the 7950gx2. The resolution is really not to relevant probably 1078 by 768 or a bit higher, monitor is 19". I was reading the other day that the new ATI RADEON X1950 CrossFire card is even faster assuming you have a board that has the ATI chipset. Maybe better graphics too.

I am not necessarily looking to save money on a card. I like to build really fast computers thats why I am looking at the 7950gx2. The resolution is really not to relevant probably 1078 by 768 or a bit higher. I was reading the other day that the new ATI RADEON X1950 CrossFire card is even faster assuming you have a board that has the ATI chipset. Maybe better graphics too.

The resolution is very relevant, if you not going to be running at high resolutions there are certain cards that would not be smart to purchase....

For you situation if you plan to purchase any of the newer highend cards your going to need to purchase a new PSU...the require a lot of power...

However, I still think a single 7900GT or even 1900XT would be just fine...

The resolution is really not to relevant probably 1078 by 768 or a bit higher, monitor is 19

You might want to look at this chart by nVidia.

1153323400KJz7y0dCSi_2_1.gif

If money it's not an Issue get the 7950X2 as the 7900 Series Cards are being a bunch of non-cooperative monkeys.

I have had 2 X BFG 7800GTX 256MB in SLi tested VS 2 X 7900GT 512MB SLi

7900GT is slighlty faster in all tests. 1 X BFG 7800GTX 256MB VS 1 X Gainward BLiss 7900GT 512MB still 7900 rockz .. BUT when you overclock the 7900GT it nearly bests a 7900GTX..

Now i only run 1 X 7900GT got rid off SLi cos i know when DX10 cards come out i'll be slappin my face.

Guest Synchronize
I have had 2 X BFG 7800GTX 256MB in SLi tested VS 2 X 7900GT 512MB SLi

Now i only run 1 X 7900GT got rid off SLi cos i know when DX10 cards come out i'll be slappin my face.

That's exactly what i did, got rid of my two GTX's and bought a 7900gt. Great card, little noisy though had to slap a zalman on it to shut it up.

wow dude, if ur gonna be playing at 1024, u should def not get the 7900gt or even the 7950 because it is just overkill. at that res, u can play the game cranked with these cards, i think they would be a better buy too. 6600gt, cheap but good, 7600gt, if u wana pay a little more. i think that is all u would need, if money isnt an option, go for a 7900gt, but that is still overkill