Sign in to follow this  
dopke

Just swapped to dual-core from single-core

I just made the jump to an Opteron 165 from an Venice 3000+ and just trying to get it running. The windows loading screen is taking at least 2-3 times longer than before. I haven't OCed it or anything, using optimized defaults for now.

I followed the procedure indicated in another thread for going to dual-core without reinstalling windows. Anyone know what the problem could be?

is this the first time laoding windows? IF yes, then no problem. If no, then obviously.....

When I went dualie w/o reinstalling, windows boots faster but games load slower..

No, since I kept my previous installation of windows and all my other stuff, it was not first time loading windows. Anyone else? Do I need to make any dual-core related changes in bios? I'm running 704-2BT bios so it's dual-core compatible.

Check my sig, if you already did that and your windowns is still taking 2-3 minutes to boot, do all the regular things (defrag, check for spyware/virus etc) and if that won't work out, just C: format

Check my sig, if you already did that and your windowns is still taking 2-3 minutes to boot, do all the regular things (defrag, check for spyware/virus etc) and if that won't work out, just C: format

Interesting. I just chceked the sig and the only thing I didn't do that I thought was optional was the "hotfix". I did that along with whatever it said to do in the registry, and now my load time is pretty much halved. I guess that solves it? Haha. Before I was waiting 32 blue bars to go by, this time just 15. So.... try that if you had problems.

Thanks! I'm gonna just make sure this rig is stable at stock. I don't even know if I will get to OCing it since school is starting up soon- don't wanna go into school with a sketchy computer. :) THANKS again.

Which Service Pack are you running with your operating system (SP1 or SP2)? Another thing, i would go into the bios and check the HTT/vCORE just incase if you load up a game and the processor isn't getting enough voltage and crashes (1.35v which is probably the default settings anyway) but always double check. I hope this helps...

I'm on SP2. I just came across another thing.

I'm trying to check CPUZ for two cores, and it shows two cores, but it won't let me drop down the menu to see the other core. (the area is grayed out as if there was only one selection) But right next to it, it lists 2 cores. And everywhere else it shows 2 cores (device manager and in the taskmanager performance tab)

[quote=dopke

I followed the procedure indicated in another thread for going to dual-core without reinstalling windows. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Yes...the problem is you installed windows when you had a single core CPU, therefore, installing the ACPI for single core CPU....so, fater changing to dual core, your ACPI is for a single core...

long story short...your windows is optimized for single core....not dual core....

So I'd reinstall it If I were you...

I went ahead and reformatted. Problem is back again, and this time I did all the hotfixes/drivers/optimizations already. This sucks, oh well.

I can honestly say that before the format, my system loaded faster. Again, reaffirming that a reinstallation of windows is not needed for single core -> dual core.