Sign in to follow this  
Django

Temps when OC'ing 4600

I've had my new 4600 for a couple of weeks now and I'm ready to take the time to find it's optimal overclock.

My question is about core temps. On my old 3200 winnie I only used Smartguardian for monitoring the temps and I never saw above 44 degress through all types of load scenarios for the 1.5+ yrs I ran a 25% OC on that processor.

Now with my 4600+ in hand I'm pushing it to a mild 2650 with the memory at 1:1 @ fsb of 220. This is very mild OC for the memory as it's rated for 2.5-4-4-8 @ 550 and would go as high as 587mhz before memtest would throw errors. Only thing is now I'm using Core Temp to monitor the temps and it gives a MUCH different reading than SmartGuardian.

220x12 = 2640 Core temp reports 57 to 60 degress Celcius while at the same time SmartGuradian is reporting 43 Degrees C.

So I'm hesitant to go any further at this point. The highest I've had the processor at with a memory divider to take the memory out of the equation is 2880 but Core Temp reported 66 to 69 degress C. It was Prime95 stable for an hour (I know that's not considered stable but I'm in my infancy with this new processor atm). I backed it down to 2760 and the temps stayed the same and Prime95'd it for another 30 minutes. No immediate issues other than the temp.

I've kinda been backed into a corner by my fear of hurting the chip. What should I do?

Thanks

you dont want to go higher than 50c full load. the lower the better

Like this post said remain under 50C...and what should you do...Either lower the clock, or invest in some higher quality cooling...

EDIT: I just realized that the Core temp is what he was measuring....i think your temps are fine...if SG is saying 43...i think your doing okay...

If I use core temps and run dual prime 95 tests, they report near 60c on one core and 49c on the other. SG will report 49-50c temps. I can't really believe one of my cores is at 60c. I generally disregard core temps and go with SG.

If I use core temps and run dual prime 95 tests, they report near 60c on one core and 49c on the other. SG will report 49-50c temps. I can't really believe one of my cores is at 60c. I generally disregard core temps and go with SG.

Yeah, that's a huge difference in core temps. The best I can tell is that SG is reading from outside the processor and CoreTemp is reading from an internal sensor. The former can't be trusted completely as it's outside of the die and the latter is reporting too much of a difference between cores or ilde temps below ambient temp to be trusted either. I guess I'll have to go with prime95 stable for 8hrs + without obvious over heating type errors/responses and call it good.