Onboard Raid Controller any good?

I've been meaning to try this out, but was wondernig if anybody with persoal experience might give their insight. I'm planning on trying to run Raid-5 and was wondering if the onboard controller is even worth it to try running this on.

If anybody can give their suggestions, or have personally used it, I'd love to hear their thoughts. I'd be running with a couple of WD 250GB 16MB SATA's.

Regards,

Danny

RAID5 requires 3 drives minimum. RAID5 with the onboard is software based and not nearly the speed it should be. It's in between a single drive and a 2 drive RAID0 array for speed. With a 2 drive array on an overclocking rig I would go RAID0 and pick up an imaging program like Acronis to back up your data..

RAID5 requires 3 drives minimum. RAID5 with the onboard is software based and not nearly the speed it should be. It's in between a single drive and a 2 drive RAID0 array for speed. With a 2 drive array on an overclocking rig I would go RAID0 and pick up an imaging program like Acronis to back up your data..

indeed, dont bother with RAID-5, to be frank, i wouldnt really bother with any raid on the silicion image controller... it just aint as fast as it supposed to be, the nvraid is much better...

do as CPDMF said, just raid0, and use acronis (great prog) to do nightly backups...

or inveset in a raid card, but i think its not needed...

Guest ElAguila

Raid 5 is only gains you if you have it as a hardware raid. I am running 2 drives in raid 0 using the nvidia sata controller and the speeds are very good.