Sign in to follow this  
Guest ElAguila_merged

sata 3.0Gb raid controller compatibility

Guest ElAguila

I am getting ready to upgrade my drives from sata 150 to the sata 300. I will use the onboard nvidia controller for one of my raid 0 arrays. I need to get a pci controller card for the other array. The cards I am currently looking at are the promise FastTrak TX2300 controller or a controller based on the the silicon image 3124 chip. Are there any known compatibility issues with either of these controllers and the the dfi lp nf4 ultra d?

I am getting ready to upgrade my drives from sata 150 to the sata 300. I will use the onboard nvidia controller for one of my raid 0 arrays. I need to get a pci controller card for the other array. The cards I am currently looking at are the promise FastTrak TX2300 controller or a controller based on the the silicon image 3124 chip. Are there any known compatibility issues with either of these controllers and the the dfi lp nf4 ultra d?

no clue as to how mucha raid card costs, but would it be more expensive than the net cost of selling old ultra d and picking up new sli-dr (has 4 nvidia and 4 sil sata ports)?

Guest ElAguila

The promise card is around $43. Right now though I would able only be able to afford the card and the drives. I am not going to upgrade my motherboard until after the amd k8l's come because I may even go with a conroe on my next mobo/cpu upgrade.

UPDATE:

I think I am going to go with the Promise SATA300 TX2PLUS 2+1

Did you stop to think about the fact that this card is PCI based and operates at 33/66Mhz?

A PCI busspeed of 66MHz gives you 266MB/sec burst data transfer rate. That's just enough for two SATA2 disks in Raid0

However..... the pci slots on you DFI mobo only operate at 33MHz.

A PCI busspeed of 33MHz gives you only 133MB/sec burst data transfer rate.

PCI 66Mhz is NOT supported on your motherboard

So using two SATA2 3.0Gb disks with this combo is useless.

You'd be better off looking for an PCIe x1 controller card.

A PCIe 1x busspeed gives you a 312MB/sec burst data transfer rate.

SIIG SATA II PCIe

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=14&pid=1002

HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 (4x SATA300, RAID, PCI-e x1

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2300.htm

Dawi Conroll DC-300e RAID - PCI Express x1- Serial ATA II RAID

http://www.dawicontrol.com/german/html/raid300e.htm

Guest ElAguila

Thanks for the info. I found a card that uses the pcie x1 slot. I have just enough room to install it.

I'm using the Syba SD-SA2PEX-2IR, 2 channel SATA2, PCIe controller on my system.

I just ordered 2 more from Directron as they were on sale for $20.00 each.

They work great, and you can use the latest firmware and drivers directly from Silicon Image,

They use the SIL 3132 controller.

Guest ElAguila

I have a quick question about the nividia sata controller on the ultra d. Can you creat a raid 0 that is sta300 and on the is sata 150 or do both raids have to be the same?