Opteron 146 temperature HOT!

la-z-boy

As already stated above, I have removed the siding on the case so there are no hot air circulating the case. This eliminate the airflow problems!???!

I'm already using mbm5 to monitor the temps. guess i should sell the cpu and get another heh.

This doesnt eliminate airflow problems if your not moving any air into the case...put a fan near the motherboard...blowing cool air into the case and then monitor your temps

Guest caffeinejunkie

Are you sure the hsf is making good contact? You might want to try tightening the retention bracket.

When your CPU temp is 64c or even 50c and the heatsink is properly seated the heatsink should feel really hot near the base. If it doesn't then either it's not seated correctly OR there is something wrong with your temp sensor.

watsonte: took your advice, lowered my clock. still investigating.

Kaxx: what does lapping it mean? can you be more specific?

caffeinejunkie: i'm pretty sure its on tight since i removed and installed it a million times :) no change.

Abducted: the heatsink feels pretty cool, not even a bit warm. Where is this temp sensor you're talking about? Is there a way to fix it (RMA?)

Iv'e lapped all my heatsinks whether it's a Thermalright XP-120 or Thermaltake Silent Tower since even the more expensive ones aren't as flat and smooth as you would think

they should be.My XP-120 was concave and so was the Silent Tower. I now have a Big Typhoon which was almost flat but I lapped it anyway.At 3.0Ghz 1.55v idle 30 load

44-46.