Opteron 146 temperature HOT!

la-z-boy

I need some help on lowering my temperature. I've tried just about everything (re-applying AS5, Add more fans, i even remove the side of the case.) Idle temp are 38-41 with case open/closed, load temperature reached 64 degrees celcius!! These temperatures are takaen on a cool day, it'll probably fry on a hot day. help help.

CASE: Antec Sonata II

Bios settings:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 290

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - auto

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - 10

Vcore ................................................. - 1.475

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.8v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 09/10

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 4

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 8

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 4

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 12 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 16 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - auto

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

DRAM Drive Strength........................... - 7

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... - 1

Guest area51

My memory must be going...what is a "SP-120"

Are you referring to a SI-120 or XP-120 from Thermalright?

What was the temp at stock vCore do you recall?

I think you might need to lower your overclock?....I would suggest looking into some more adequate cooling...However the SI-120 and a Panaflo are pretty good...

You could add an intake to the side of the case bringing more cool air in?

Either way you need to increase the airflow of your case...Are your temps that high if the case is open?

Goodness! My temps never got that high with an xp90@290X10. Is that your total vid for the overclock or do you have a big+% added in there. Becareful w/that.(<---Precautionary thing please forgive) Too much as5 can cause trouble, not enough can too. Depends on the condition of the IHS and the finish on the base of the sink. I've only ever heard of "Intel" IHS's having dips in them. Side off the case should bring the temps down.(3-5c er' sumptin' like that,sometimes more) Also be sure you have the sink installed in the right direction.(Bends in the heatpipes pointed down) You might try reversing the direction of your fan so it pulls of the board and blows the hot air out into the room. You may need a much bigger fan. I had a 92mm "Tornado" 119cfm kept it nice and cool.And you could have a defective heatsink.(Heat-pipes empty) If your fan isn't in the 100cfm range that could be the crux of the problem. (That a pretty good overclock)

Guest area51

No his temps are out of the ballpark...

I have a SI-128/with scythe 63cfm fan cooling an Opteron 146 @ 1.485 total volts...

My idle is 27c Load 37c...not sure what ambient is but it is hot hot in my room and 95F plus outside.

EDIT: We have same oc but different stepping...I recall my cabye 0540 was hotter than this cab2e but nowhere near what you report

area51: Yes sorry, its a XP-120 Thermalright, i dont' remember temperature at stock but i'll to find out later tonight.

watsonte: I believe my cooling setup is pretty good for AIR, yes? the panaflo pushes pretty hard. I took the side of my case off, so airflo shoudn't be the problem.

Clay: All the overclock are listed above, everything is at stock setting. I re-apply AS5 about 3 times, each time with a grain of rice, i've followed the AS5 guide :P My heatsink only fit one way, if i reverse it, it'll conflict with my video card. I don't belive it is a defective heatsink since my old 300+ venice stayed at 27 idle and under 40 on load. The fan pushes 104CFM!!

I'm afraid to go to 3GHz with these temp heh.

area51: Yes sorry, its a XP-120 Thermalright, i dont' remember temperature at stock but i'll to find out later tonight.

watsonte: I believe my cooling setup is pretty good for AIR, yes? the panaflo pushes pretty hard. I took the side of my case off, so airflo shoudn't be the problem.

Clay: All the overclock are listed above, everything is at stock setting. I re-apply AS5 about 3 times, each time with a grain of rice, i've followed the AS5 guide :P My heatsink only fit one way, if i reverse it, it'll conflict with my video card. I don't belive it is a defective heatsink since my old 300+ venice stayed at 27 idle and under 40 on load. The fan pushes 104CFM!!

I'm afraid to go to 3GHz with these temp heh.

Well the Fan is certainly pushing a lot of air...but the air is pushing around is just circulating through the case....I wouldnt even leave my overclock that high with the temps your at, and 3Ghz would be out of the question...

I would really start looking into some better airflow options...Leave the side panel off and put a fan infront of the case blowing cool air onto the CPU...see what happens...

And be sure the clean every thing with some compressed air...dust kinda acts like a nice blanket..

Guest area51

I am with watsonte on this one...I would not leave your oc up if you are getting those temps...I would remove it for awhile while you investigate a bit more.

With an XP-120 and Panaflo you should be nowhere near where you are at.

You never said what you were using to measure these temps...

If you have not done so already why don't you install mbm5 using the instructions found in this thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=mbm5

Are you sure you have applied AS5 correctyl and seated the heatsink correctly? Too much AS5 could kill your temps nicely...

Guest Blooz1

The Antec Sonata series isn't known as an "overclocker's" case - although the Sonata II had greatly improved intake over the original, it's still not exactly what most people here would use for an O/C'ed rig.

What do you have for intake/exhaust fans?

As already stated above, I have removed the siding on the case so there are no hot air circulating the case. This eliminate the airflow problems!???!

I'm already using mbm5 to monitor the temps. guess i should sell the cpu and get another heh.