New Build Problems

Hi

i've just bought a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra D, X1800 XT, 3700XP CPU all running on a 450 watt PSU with 24 pin connector. Everything went fine put mobo/cpu into the case added all bits no probs. PSU details here http://www.jeantech.com/450.htm

However when i come to press the on switch the machine doesnt start. Both the motherboard lights come on and for a split second the PSU fan comes on as does the system fan and Video card fan but then everything dies although motherboard lights stay on.

I really can't figure out what's going and why its not working any ideas much appreciated.

Edited to Add: I didn't run the system out of the case to start with is it worth doing this?

Hi

i've just bought a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra D, X1800 XT, 3700XP CPU all running on a 450 watt PSU with 24 pin connector. Everything went fine put mobo/cpu into the case added all bits no probs.

However when i come to press the on switch the machine doesnt start. Both the motherboard lights come on and for a split second the PSU fan comes on as does the system fan and Video card fan but then everything dies although motherboard lights stay on.

I really can't figure out what's going and why its not working any ideas much appreciated.

Take it down to one stick of ram and one HD...Chances are even though you have a PSU that may meet the "requirements" it aint really meetin' the requirements....

To answer you question regarding running outside of the case...look at your current predicament :) Until you "know" everything works it is always a good idea to work outside the case just because of all of the time it takes to get all your cables just right....and etc....

Rokfire

Welcome To DFI-Street

PSU problems can manifest themselves in many different ways. Power requirement for DFI motherboards are very high because they where designed from the ground up to overclock. A good quality PSU with ALL four (4) of the power connectors plugged in will make a world of difference in stability and overclocking. Even if you are not overclocking.

Nice rig, best do yourself and your motherboard a big favor. Get a PSU from recommend list. DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED June 14th, 2006!) If it is not here forget it.

Minimum requirements is a 24-pin 480w power supply (PSU) You need minimal of 480w@26amps on the 12v rail of good clear power for a single video card. This comes straight from DFI techs.

Did you follow this build guide; NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures. It may help.

Glad TASR went straight for the jugular and told you straight up to go for a different PSU instead of my round about way. While it is true that people can "get by" with sub par PSU's it only ends up in weirdness and funky kinda un-identifiable stuff down the road. If you've spent any time at all at the steet you'd see that probably the number one thing people rip on is the power supply. Seems like a simple equation or an easy out just to point at your PSU but more often than not it's just that simple. DON'T spend big buckies on killer components and put a cheap butt PSU in the middle of all that expecting good results...Aint gonna happen'...