Need Advice Moving out of New York.

P.T.K.

Tn and Delaware are 2 states I could not move to. alabama either. My sis is already married (joke).

I'm in the same situation as you. The only difference is I'm a lot older and my job let's me work anywhere in the 50 states. Personally, I fell in love with GA when I was there. The grass is REAL green and the ppl were so friendly. The air is cleaner and the houses were so much cheaper than queens. I really am tired of NY and have options open. Just waiting for a few things and GOD willing I'm out!

Just to let you know. Upstate is a completely different than the 5 boroughs. I was shocked last time I went. Doors open, ppl were courteous and the housing is much cheaper. Jobs? I dunno about that.

Also saw this in another forum

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...=0&backButton=Y

I can't believe som of the prices outside NY! Seriously! You could buy 2-3 homes with the price of one in Queens.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well perhaps too obvious since you are in the NY currently but did you think about up North like Boston (which is still fairly expensive) area, but Portsmouth NH is a good place, Manchester NH is a good place, and of course the gem of the northeast Portland, ME is a great place :)

People are ultra nice, almost no crime, selected couple of times "the best place to raise a child", 2nd in the nation in restaurant per person base after San Francisco, tons of art galleries, local baseball, hockey,etc. teams, unbelievable nature (come and visit Maine at the end of September, you would be amazed with the color diversity), winters are little long but hey snowboard, skiing, snowmobiles, etc., "Very NICE" night life, Atlantic coast with great lakes, and perhaps the best part: it is not expensive - rents are between $700 - $1500, and 2 people in rent can live for $2000 - $2200 per month.

As they say Maine = Vacationland (well lets not talk about northern Maine except Augusta) but it's been 4 years in Portland, ME and I am loving it everyday more.

This town, Washington Court House,would put you about 40min on a slow day outside of Columbus, Ohio....and all depending you can live about 20 min outside of the city of Washington Court House, and be about 20 min away from Columbus...it might be about 30min...but either way...its nice, and country...but again near a big enough city to where it shouldnt be hard finding a job...

Some Pictures to give you an idea

I heard about the NorthEast, however those winters.... brrr. It looks very nice though.

The only place that is on the northern side of the US I would consider is Oregon and that would be on the coast. I hear the warm currents from the south keep it warm. Hear it is beautiful as well.

PTK what borough u live in?

This town, Washington Court House,would put you about 40min on a slow day outside of Columbus, Ohio....and all depending you can live about 20 min outside of the city of Washington Court House, and be about 20 min away from Columbus...it might be about 30min...but either way...its nice, and country...but again near a big enough city to where it shouldnt be hard finding a job...

Some Pictures to give you an idea

Is that you on the bottom right pic?

Yes, you can move out in the sticks and get acres and acres of land. The commute into the Triangle isn't too bad if there are no accidents. And it is very nice there, with rolling hills and creeks and ponds. There are other towns to work in and make good money if your a techie or a professional. But the area is growing to beat the band, so you may have quite a commute to ensure future countryness. Greater Raleigh is no longer a small, quaint place, it is well spread out. And most of the new homes are in burbs and run 250 grand for a 'small' house. Half a mil is a not unusual in the area. If you get something cheap in Durham, you won't want to live in the neighborhood. Durham has some bad places as well as very nice places. Oh, I forgot, you'll go out of town to buy. 7500 is cheap for an acre. it goes up from there. Land is no longer a freebie with a house, you'll pay for acreage.

looks very peaceful, I have to see what kind of jobs they have there.

Yeah Columbus is where a lot of the people that live there work....they like as you have mentioned the country...but at the same time need the bigger city jobs...so it nice having Columbus a short drive away..

Either Way good luck....

I heard about the NorthEast, however those winters.... brrr. It looks very nice though.

The only place that is on the northern side of the US I would consider is Oregon and that would be on the coast. I hear the warm currents from the south keep it warm. Hear it is beautiful as well.

PTK what borough u live in?

I agree too Cold. But very beautiful

I live on Long Island now, was born in queens and moved out here in the late 80's.

Yeah Columbus is where a lot of the people that live there work....they like as you have mentioned the country...but at the same time need the bigger city jobs...so it nice having Columbus a short drive away..

Either Way good luck....

Thank you so much for all your help :)

I've been speaking to a few ppl on this subject. These are the following states that ppl I know have left too:

Michigan

Nevada

Florida

Virginia

Maryland

North Carolina

Georgia (my 1st choice so far)

Texas

Jersey (dk y?!)

CT (I'm tired, I don't remember how to spell)

Boston