Quick Multiplier Question

OtisN89

I've seen some of you guys with mulitpliers of x11 and x12, but the highest I can set mine is 10. My BIOS is 11/14/2005. To get higher multiplier options do I need a different version?

The max multi on your cpu is 10X AMD locks higher multis on all chip except FX chips.

Just to clarify in a little more detail, AMD upward locks the multipliers on all chips except the FX series, This means you can go down to a 4x multi, but no higher than a 10x multi. To get an 11 or 12x multiplier you'ld have to go with the next series up CPU such as the 4200+X2, or the 4400+X2.

Is there a problem with Sandra and CPU-z's reporting of CPU clocks and speeds? I am thinking I have a 11x multi but it is retained at 10 then since it is a 3800+. Every bit of software I have tells me I have the speed indicated in my sig but I am beginning to disbelieve that.

boo

The BIOS lets me go past 15x, haven't really scrolled up to see the max. Sandra and CPU-z do not necessarily misreport the multiplier, but the frequency speed of the CPU since I have a 3800+ that is supposed to not be able to run 11+ multi's but they show that I am and that is what I have set in the BIOS. I am mainly just curious as to what my frequency REALLY is :confused:

Anyway, looks like more work on the OC and memory side to get a good clock under 10x...

thanks a bunch

boo

Do a little checking for me as my CFX will only show options up to my CPU's max mulitplier. Set a higher multi like 12 and then check CPUZ and see if it reads 12. There have only been 2 confirmed reports of AMD CPU's leaving the factory with unlocked multipliers. Maybe you have one..

The BIOS lets me go past 15x, haven't really scrolled up to see the max. Sandra and CPU-z do not necessarily misreport the multiplier, but the frequency speed of the CPU since I have a 3800+ that is supposed to not be able to run 11+ multi's but they show that I am and that is what I have set in the BIOS. I am mainly just curious as to what my frequency REALLY is :confused:

Anyway, looks like more work on the OC and memory side to get a good clock under 10x...

thanks a bunch

boo

can u post a screenie?

Ok, I was able to set it to 12x on the multi and it shows in CPU-z and Sandra. Lowered the HTT since I have not Primed over 2.8+ speeds. I am not even sure if this clock is stable.

Sandra always makes me rethink what IT reports since it does funky things with voltage and temp readings. However, I usually have good results with CPU-z.

boo

cpu12wqm2.th.jpg

That makes the third confirmed unlocked AMD CPU. First time for a dual core that I am aware of. Basically you ended up with a rebadged FX-60. Pretty cool dude. Thanks for sharing that with us..

Next question. Did you do anything in particular that may have forced the unlock when you swapped CPU's? I have to ask just to see if it may be possible for others to unlock the mulitpliers.