Sign in to follow this  
Glaucus

Mobo dropped randomly, now it won't boot

I've had my LanParty NF4 Ultra-D for about a year and a half now. Sometime last week, the system running it just dropped. I say "dropped" because I only had network access to it (1700 miles away), and it just disappeared off the network. When I finally got home and rebooted it, it froze right after it showed the "PCI Devices" screen (when it starts looking for the boot devices).

I discovered that if I disabled EVERYTHING (including IDE controllers) it would move on and try to netboot (failing of course). If I enable the SATA drives* (onboard), it freezes. If I just enable the PATA drive/controller, then it takes a while, and then fails to boot off them, telling me "MISSING SYSTEM DISK" or some such. I'm at my wits end here, and can't remember how long the warranty on the board is :(.

Pretty much guaranteed that the controller died for some reason. I have no idea what happened since I had to reboot it when it froze the first time. If need be I might be able to get the kernel logs from the system disk to see exactly what happened before it froze. But that wouldn't be easy, especially since I can't boot a CD off the box... BTW, I pulled the power off of every drive in the system to be sure it wasn't the PSU, and I really doubt it is the PSU.

*It doesn't detect the SATA disks correctly (160 GB instead of 250GB). It also doesn't always detect the PATA drives across reboots, even if the controller is enabled.

I had a problem kind of similar to this one on an Nforce 3 motherboard. It would freeze as soon as it was looking for the IDE drives in POST. It did it randomly, too (the PC was working for almost half a year). I just unplugged the slave DVD drive on the secondary channel, as was reccomended in a forum, and it worked. Kind of out there, but it's worth a shot.

Nothing. I tried both suggestions, and there is no change. It is still playing "Now I see it, now I don't" with the hard drives. It is still taking hours to try to boot off each disk and failing.

I can't find anything about DFI RMA or warranties...

Have u tried different cables? One of my yellow ide cables worked great for over a year and a half then all of the sudden my dvd drive started disappearing. Worth a shot anyway.

I'm using different drives on different cables on different controllers. It doesn't make a difference. It still loses each drive randomly and doesn't detect them correctly.

for rma contact rma at dfiweb.com and they will need the information below in order to even begin rma processing.

If you are in USA or Canada:

For hard parts pricing and availability and for rma processing contact rma at dfiweb.com and to assist you they will need the information shown below. Thank you.

When you email or call DFI (TEL: 1-510-274-8000 ext 118), please provide these information:

Product model and revision if known. ( Usually shown as R. AXX or similar on stick-on with barcode on PCI slot).

Link possible revision locations. http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/mb_faq_us1.j...TYPE=US&SITE=US

Mother board serial number. On end of box board came in and also in various places on the board.

Place where you purchased this product.

Invoice number or Receipt number from your vendor.

RGone...

Try booting with only the hdd that the OS is on hooked up.

I have. I've also tried booting with just the DVD-RW in there with a boot cd. No go.