Sign in to follow this  
Confined

Stripped screw- need advice

I've got a stripped screw that I obviously can't get out. This screw is securing my motherboard to my case so now I can't remove the damned thing.

Its inserted into one of those standoffs that keeps the mobo elevated and I've tried unscrewing it from back with a pair of pliers but thats pretty much impossible. It isn't even in that tight really, I just can't catch it with any known tools.

Anyone ever have this problem? Got any suggestions?

If you can not get to it at all then you will need to drill the stand-off out from back side and be real careful not to go thru and hit mobo.

Can you take a picture of the screw so we know where it is located on the motherboard? Make sure to keep the image size to 800x600 per forum rules.

Try this trick and see if it works: Get a very small flat bladed screwdriver (or putty knife) and wedge it below the head of the screw, while applying up-wards pressure, unscrew it with a second screwdriver. If your worried about the mobo then just try to apply up wards pressure (not much) to the screw by pulling up (not much and stay close to the screw) the mobo near the screw with your fingers. when one of the threads catches it will start to unscrew and u will be able to release the mobo. A lot of times the thread holes go all the way through the tray, if so u can apply pressure from the back side (the bottom of the screw).

Guest BFG

If your going to end up drilling the screw out you might consider covering the motherboard with some sort of plastic warp or a bag or something so metal shavings don't go everywhere.