Sign in to follow this  
johndh

Card choices for system upgrade

I sincerely apologise if this question has already been asked elsewhere, but if it was, I was unable to find it.

Currently, I own an Athlon 64 3000+ which is running at 2.5Ghz, and as such surpasses a 3800+. This is combined with 1GB RAM, a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-DF and an Asus EAX800XL. Having just started playing F.E.A.R, I realised how obselete my system is after only a year of usage, though of course this is to be expected.

I am wondering if any of you good people can recommend me a new graphics card to increase my shiny-settings FPS in FEAR and source engine games. This system is fine and runs FEAR nicely at 1024x768 (which is generally my playing resolution regardless of hardware), but I'd like something that can handle the niceities of these types of games, such as lots of AA+AF and all the other high end features.

I was thinking of either a 7900GT or an X1900XT. My budget is at or below £200, but I can't easily go much above.

Many thanks for any answers, particularly any prompt ones! It's my 17th on Wednesday so I'm looking to order it pretty sharpish.

Yours,

John.

*Edit*

There was something here which I forgot to include. The other aspect of my question was about limitations in the rest of the system - would my "virtual" 3800 be bottlenecking performance with an X1900XT? I will soon be upgrading to (and overclocking) an X2 3800, which is something to keep in mind. Still, is there any point using the ATi over the nVidia even with an OCd X2?

Can't really say about the performance of a X1900XT but I can't see how you could be disapointed with a 7900GT, it's equal to or better than a 7800GTX which is excellent in every game I've played.

As for the CPU being a bottleneck, you may get more FPS in F.E.A.R using a better CPU since it is multi-threaded but the X2 3800 and a 7900GT are a pretty good match for each other i'd say.

No experience with the 1900's but too many people have had issues with the 7900 series cards to be recommending them. They are great when they work but it is a crap shoot when ordering one not knowing if you are going to get a newer version...

I'd stick with ATI for now unless you can afford to pick up a 7950...

If you want to go problem free, skip ANY 7900gt you come across...wait a couple of weeks for 7950gt, or go for a 7950gx2 if you can afford it.

About that processor...if you can (money is always an issue) try to get an opteron 165...as they tend to overclock much better that A64 and X2s. That way you dont have to worry about bottlenecks :P

It's a good point about the opterons - I was planning on the 165 a while back but forgot about it. Will be saving up for that. Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will be ordering my X1900XT tomorrow morning, unless anyone suddenly screams "NOOOOO DON'T DO IT!"

It's weird to think that a year ago my X800XL was in the same price range. Times change, eh?

Thanks again.

Guest phoenixdancer

hey mate.

someone on www.overclock.co.uk/forums is selling a gfx card the same as mine for £150? i think its a 7800GTX with 550/1800 mine runs @ 700/1950 atm which is on par with the 7900GTX??

7900's are manufactured on a 90nm process...so they are better bets than 78. Anyway...with all the problems we're getting with 79gt's you should go with ATI for the moment. Or maybe a 79gtx...there are no known issues with those...at least...i dont know any.

The 90nm manufacture process means lower voltage/power input and therefore thermal output among many other benefits, iirc.

Anyway, I ordered a Connect3D X1900XT 512mb from www.overclockers.co.uk a few minutes ago, so it should be here by wednesday; in time for the birthday!

It was a cracking deal - 216GBP is already low considering normal price tag of 260, such as those made by Asus, but it was on a 'this week only deal' too. 200 quid for a 19xt =D

7900's are manufactured on a 90nm process...so they are better bets than 78. Anyway...with all the problems we're getting with 79gt's you should go with ATI for the moment. Or maybe a 79gtx...there are no known issues with those...at least...i dont know any.

There be issues :) My first one has been good since day one but the second one I purchased to go SLI lasted less than 24hrs...ran me around in circles cuz I tested the darn thing in an Ultra D before building up my Expert so I thought I was doing something wrong when it came time to start dialing things in...long story short, Skip the 7900's...

I have one more question on this topic:

I'm going to upgrade to Catalyst 6.7, but do I uninstall the current driver first, or just download the new one and let it automatically "upgrade"?