Sign in to follow this  
Puma/Sire

Dual Core AMD

I was curios you think I would get higher frame rate from games if I got a duel core cpu?

That depends. The game itself would have to be able to use a dual core cpu as a feature in order to even take advantage of it....Most games right now do not (Quake 4 is the only one that comes to mind right now that does support dual core).

You have a decent overclock on that cpu right now, so you'd have to get a more powerful dual core cpu and overclock that farther than your current proc.

What would probably make an immediate performance increase though is if you upgraded to a cpu that had a full 1MB L2 cache (or dual core with the 2x1MB L2 cache).

**EDIT: I should point out though (and I'm sure you know this) that many of the games coming out this fall will support dual core processors to take advantage of much better physics etc. Two games that immediately come to mind (that I'm looking forward to) are Warhammer: Mark of Chaos later this fall and Company of Heroes which comes out next month.

You've got a good setup, I'd say that it's worth it to you to upgrade to a dual core (AMD)...Have you seen the prices on newegg???? I've had my setup below running with an A64 3200+ up until last week..I picked up an A64 X2 4800+ for $305....added some serious punch to my rig with future games in mind without doing a full system upgrade to AM2 or Conroe.

This isn't a question that can be answered with a clear cut yes or no. The easiest thing is to look at the performance of two similar processors - one that is dual core and the other which isn't.

The AMD 4000 San Diego is factory clocked at 2.4ghz and has 1MB of level2 cache.

The AMD X2 4800 Toledo core is also factory clocked at 2.4ghz and has 2X1MB of level2 cache.

Side by side comparisons of these two processors running games like Quake, BF2 and Fear will show that the X2 pulls ahead of the Sandie by about two frames per second. Enough to justify an upgrade based on that alone? Well absolutely not.

But, put an X2 into a real computer that has anti-virus, firewall and any other of 24-30 processes running and see the beauty of the X2 start to shine. Like to use TeamSpeak or Yahoo Voice while playing your favorite game? Well try to alt/tab out of the game while chatting on a voice server and see what kind of mess you get while trying to get back into the game.

Like to burn a DVD, listen to some tunes and answer your emails - all at the same time. Ah, once again the X2 begins to shine. I'm speaking all of this from experience. I "upgraded" from a San Diego core running at 2.86ghz, and while I can't get the same clocks out of my dual core I came close. And the difference in my computing, gaming and productivity on my p/c are like night and day. Not even any comparison.

If you are wanting a fairly inexpensive upgrade to an already nice rig, spend you about $149 bucks, buy you an AMD X2 3800, clock it to 2.6ghz and watch your computing experience change (for the better).

It certainly is well worth the upgarde..I went from an FX-57 at 2.8 to a 4400+ at 2.866 and no I dont notice a huge difference in game, but I do notice that if I want to play music in the background...and play a game like BF2, its runs a lot smoother...Like Wevspot said and all the others...Its a worthwhile upgrade...and really for the price you loose nothing and gain everything...

Do a search you will find lots of happy X2 users...

Graphics intensive games especially at higher resolutions are more limited by the Video Card than the processor.

My personal experience is I have seen alot of increase in games that I mainly play which is alot of DOD SOURCE AND Counter Stike Source and deffinatly in Quake and Unreal Tornament It absolutely screems WHOOP butt!!!!

Graphics intensive games especially at higher resolutions are more limited by the Video Card than the processor.

I love ExRoadie's answers :)

Yep, some games are more graphic intensive than CPU... so these games would not see any change, unless the CPU (single core) was at 100% usage and being a bottleneck. Some of these games are Oblivion an FEAR and HL2, and I think you could see a small increase in performance.

The one I saw smoother ride was BF2... and I don't even see each core at 100% usage, its more of a 44 to 65% for each core, which means its being used more than a single core. But it is relative.

Like Watsonte said upgrading is the thing to do and you will notice everything faster and with out delays.

Sorrento, I play a ton of BF2 and notice that it does indeed play smoother, as does FEAR. Hell, I play BF2 at 1600X1200 and just about every goody on high and still manage almost 100 fps.

Do you have a favorite BF2 server? I'll try and find you in there sometime so we can frag fest together. I can be found in GAK Server quite a bit. My handle is BF2Razorback.

Sorrento, I play a ton of BF2 and notice that it does indeed play smoother, as does FEAR. Hell, I play BF2 at 1600X1200 and just about every goody on high and still manage almost 100 fps.

Do you have a favorite BF2 server? I'll try and find you in there sometime so we can frag fest together. I can be found in GAK Server quite a bit. My handle is BF2Razorback.

(Sorry Off Topic)

Wevspot, check this thread...you will find my self and a few others that play BF2 as well...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62912

Do a search you will find lots of happy X2 users...

Here's one!! :)

Dual-screen, Teamspeak, MBM5, Xfire, Nextsensor and IRC on one, BF2 on the other... ;)

Still trying to nail a solid OC, but getting there... :)

watsonte, you just made my favorite peoples list. Awesome thread, thank you for the link. I'm subscribed to it now so it will be one I visit often.

Thanks again!