Sign in to follow this  
Trisk

Freeze after cold boot

I have this problem too. For me the answer is to leave the system on most of the time and to restart it when it does crash.

I am also going to try pressing restart just after it posts, to see if that makes a difference, and to restart it when it reaches the Windows Welcome screen.

I have never had ULi errors appearing in System Events, but I used to get weird hard drive lag issues that would be most noticable when Winamp suddenly froze resulting in split second of sound being repeated for about 1 second. That problem has gone now with the latest updates as i write this.

I got my issue resolved by taking raju's advice. However. Very disappointed in DFI's lack of support forthe board overall. I did an RMA and the new board had the same issues until I followed Raju's advice and tinkered deeper into it. But it started happening again after all the tweaks, memory swaps, CMOS resets, etc.

This is the first problem I ever ahd with a DFI board that I can't find proper Bios information for...so I'm going Conroe 6800..-Asus P5wdg2 ws pro, TEAM 2 Gb Kit DDR2 (2x 1Gb) 5-5-5-15 1000Mhz...

So my rig is headed over to the sale area...

Love the N4 board though!!!

So you tried using the ram also in the 1 and 2 slot, and that didn't work? Because so far its still working here, but i was curious if the problem is going to come back.

Mule

So you tried using the ram also in the 1 and 2 slot, and that didn't work? Because so far its still working here, but i was curious if the problem is going to come back.

Mule

Yes, I tried that and after awhile with no apparent reason it came back.. I'm working on my final attempt to fix this over the weekend.

The board really is not doing what its advertised to do and DFI was of no help.

I already have the components for my new Rig and plan on either selling or passing this board down...even if I get it to stop the freezing...

The funnt thing to me is I built a system on a Asrock Dual Sata II which has the Uli chip and never had any problem..

So is there a solution to the cold boot freeze??

Some say they have no more issues. I've tried everything and it seemed to go away. but it came back in some form or another.. Meaning it either starts and freezes for about a minute after windows loads or it freezes prior to load and requires a restart (or wait about 4 minutes then it will continue to load and maybe it will be ok).:mad:

I get this problem too,

x2 3800+

X1900XT

2x1GB DDR500 (OCZ ram)

Audigy4 (Non Pro)

Basically, i get freezes within 15 min of booting (some times it never finishes booting, others it does) but after a restart i can run for a week straight without issue.

Secondly, i get what appears to be HD lag or something, i get these little pauses where the system freezes for a second with a high pitched squeal coming from the speakers/headphones and then everything continues normally. These pauses happen in game and just on the desktop with winamp.

In the beginning, these pauses used to lock the system, but after manually setting ram timings and updating the BIOS they dont do that anymore.

The post by Raju where he said "prefetch set to 16X16 in bios, default is 4X16.... Try 16X16 if not.." helped some. This also helped "Try increasing the northbridge drive levels, I think they can be set from 1-31, try closer to 31 and see if it helps"

The combination of those two made the issue less invasive but still present.