Sign in to follow this  
Trisk

Freeze after cold boot

Im still stalling on the first boot....but booting

Actually it stopped and froze for about 40 seconds but continued and finished the boot process!!!

So this has helped, I need to tweak something else to remove the delay during boot.

But I did not have to restart today during boot. I just left it alone and while the windows screen seemed to freeze, it started.. Never did it start before without a reset or 2 or 4 times. So its getting there.

Does anyone have details on all the BIOS settings and what they control/effect?

I have 16x16 set and pice reset enabled and it was continuous. I fiddled with ATI fancontrol until it stopped. I ended up with the same freeze after cold boot with both settings however. :mad:

Raju,

This did solve my problem for the most part..Can you share your other Bios settings. I had a lock up yesterday. I am no longer experienceing stutters or the 45 second delay. I'm wondering if maybe a walkthough of the bios settings would help?

Anyone?

Also where can I find new-beta bios for this board?

I don't have the board anymore, I sold it about 2 months ago, so I'm a little rusty.

Off the top of my head,

1) disable all boot up devices apart from your hard drive, that includes usb boot up seek etc.

2) set all speed fan settings to full on, you can use smartguardian once in XP to set them at their required levels.

3) Try increasing the northbridge drive levels, I think they can be set from 1-31, try closer to 31 and see if it helps. I can't remember the exact name of the function I'm refering to, but I'm sure you guys know it..

4) check you ht link speed, bring it down under 1ghz. If your fsb is 260 plus try the 3x setting.

That's all I can think of atm, if I had the bios in front of me maybe I could be of more assistance.

There is a database entry of the CFX3200-dr by me, check there and see if anything else can match

regards

Raja

What I do remember is that when I had the board, I completely managed to eliminate the cold start and ULI error issue.

IMO the 16X16 should be a function that is not even available in bios, meaning that DFI should have set it to 16X16 without allowing the option to change it. It needs to be at 16x16 to work properly and DFI should have provided info of that.

I can't remeber apeture size, I recon leave it at default, but what are the options and what is default?

You can set system bios cacheable if you like, most motherboards do as default, in fact I would not be suprised if it may cause issues if you don't, it shouldn't in theory, but during boot up who knows?...

regards

Raja

my ddr2 maximiser from Hipro has just arrived so I will be offline for a couple of hours while I remove an inductor from my motherboard and feed it with some real stable power....

Apeture size default is 64.

Your databse entry was very similar to mine and I've adjusted where applicable and The system is much better. Were you ever able to run 2 crossfire cards?

Thanks for your help and time to guide this issue through.

BTW how is your new rig. I was thinking of the same setup..

hi,

ok , I was able to run 2 Crossfire cards, no real issues there. I think I left those southbridge settings alone.

with regards to the new system it's ok, the Infinity is a so-so motherboard, it's good for a stable system at a reasonable overclock, but bios support is problematic at this stage and memory issues are a plenty.

regards

Raja

hi,

ok , I was able to run 2 Crossfire cards, no real issues there. I think I left those southbridge settings alone.

with regards to the new system it's ok, the Infinity is a so-so motherboard, it's good for a stable system at a reasonable overclock, but bios support is problematic at this stage and memory issues are a plenty.

regards

Raja

Hey thanks for the help.....

I've gotten a more stable system so far. just a few tweaks for the memory now. I am running stable in Prime and Memtest is fine. But I do freeze in a couple of games...I suspect its a memory issue..

But again thanks for your tremendous help. I feel like I have a computer that is ALMOST all its cranked up to be!:)

If you could build again would you go with the same board (infinity),CPu Mem?

I would not use the Infinity again, atm the best 2(3) boards are the Asus P5B (965 chipset, not for Crossfire, but sic fsb oc's) and the P5WDG2 Pro or P5W64 (I'd wait for more tests on this one though). I've got a P5WDG2 on the way, a good friend of mine (Onepagebook, a master overclocker) recommends it, as do some of my trusted friends, most have all hit 460fsb, including Linflas who is a DFI street member)..

regards

Raja

Hmm I was looking at the P5WDG2!!

I have an Abit IC7-G Max II super moded/Oc'd system on water that I am passing down to my son and need to replace it. I use it for Lightwave-Maya. I have a Matrox RTX-100 card in it for video. The P5WDG2 is board I selected. Couldn't find much user data on it or forums talking about it! So I've been in a holding pattern...

This is great info!

This DFI board has been a real struggle to get to where it is now. I got it with the intent of replacing my Abit rig, but could not get it to optimal performance. And when I installed the Matrox card, I was not impressed. So I'm upgrading the Matrox card to the RT X2 and may go the route of the Asus board..

You have no idea how much you've helped me. Thanks Raju!!