Water Cooling Guide....v 1.3

watsonte

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, got a suggestion on jumping a PSU, or, well, a different way of doing it:

http://www.ramsinks.com/psutester/

I haven't done it yet, but plan on taking one of the old ones I have lying around and using it to test fans and stuff and leak test when I get the funds/time to do watercooling.

Thats an interesting method, but in general I think we will stick with the Green/Black trick because it involves no changes to the PSU and is recommended by the boys over at OCZ....

Thanks for sharing that method...

Watsonite, is it ok with you if i quote this article @ overclockersclub.com once its more complete?

Yeah thats certainly fine by me...If there are things you would like to quote now...you could, but that would be more than okay..

I read through the guide. Big thumbs up for the effort put into it. One thing I did not see or I missed was the abundance of quality watercooling parts avaliable in the for sale sections of forums. Of the 4 or 5 watercooling systems I have put togather at least 75% of all of the componets were used. I have been able to use top of the line Danger den, swiftech, Whitewater parts for my systems at considerable savings buying used parts.

a buying used parts guide might be a good post. Such as price comparisons(whats a good or going price for a certain componet) Pumps..which pumps have good warranties.

One thing I always buy new is tubing and clamps.

I will post a couple of WC'ing system I have going and when I start pluming my dual loop Lian-Li case I will keep a log and pics for it.

Yeah thats certainly fine by me...If there are things you would like to quote now...you could, but that would be more than okay..

yea i could, but I don't want to keep checking here every day for updates, i'll just wait a lil while and post a more "finished" version

I read through the guide. Big thumbs up for the effort put into it. One thing I did not see or I missed was the abundance of quality watercooling parts avaliable in the for sale sections of forums. Of the 4 or 5 watercooling systems I have put togather at least 75% of all of the componets were used. I have been able to use top of the line Danger den, swiftech, Whitewater parts for my systems at considerable savings buying used parts.

I buying used parts guide might be a good post. Such as price comparisons(whats a good or going price for a certain componet) Pumps..which pumps have good warranties.

One thing I always buy new is tubing and clamps.

I will post a couple of WC'ing system I have going and when I start pluming my dual loop Lian-Li case I will keep a log and pics for it.

It is mentioned in the guide that there is nothing wrong with buying used...I dont know if it would be very benificial to add a buyers guide....It might but at the same time it would be somewhat time consuming and probably bias...I would rather say heres what we collectively think are good parts....buy them where you like?

And yeah if you would be willing to, it would be nice to add on to the list that I hope grows, of water cooled rigs....A post Like UncleDavid218s...Post #7 in the thread...

Firstly watsonte, this is a great sticky and I wish it all the best - I wish it was available when I first ventured into the wonderful world of watercooling! One other point that I think has been overlooked in the guide is the ambient case temperature. With the CPU and GPU's watercooled, rather the trying to get rid of the heat generated by blowing the hot air out of the case, the water takes it the heat to the radiator. This has the benefit of reducing the temperature within the case and thus lowering the temperature of other components that had to swelter in the heat of an air cooled system. A good example of this is my hard drive temperatures - they are all sitting on 25°~26°C these days rather than the mid thirty's they used to run at.

I just finished (a few weeks ago) upgrading my loop to include my 7900GT's (and threw in a 1.4 volt mod to boot) using a pair of Swiftech MCW60 waterblock kits. Now my original cooling system was quite modest (I was learning and quite intrepid about the whole concept) being a Corsair COOL 939 kit which uses the Delphi/Laing DCC pump and ⅜" ID tubing and a pure copper CPU heatsink (an early model Swiftech offering with 242 pins). I changed the standard HSF setup over to the waterblocks carefully and added the BGA heatsinks (probably taking more time than I should have but we can't be too careful can we?) but was unsure if the littl' DCC pump would cope with the added load on the loop. Well, I can say that it handled it admirably (much to my surprise) and the GPU's idle @33°C~35°C and peak @47°C under load (3DMark06's "Deep Freeze"). The addition of the GPU's to the loop has only increased my overclocked FX-60's idle temperature by 1C°~2°C (29C°~30°C at idle) and peaks at 41°C when dual-core priming (@3.05G using 1.5 volts).

Through this venture into the world of watercooling I have learnt quite a bit, some from the web, some from trial 'n' error. If I were to start again, I now have the confidence to hand-pick components rather than go for an off-the-shelf kit (I found it quite intimidating when I was a n00b "dipping my toes"). Oh, I almost forgot... when I first install the Corsair kit, I was a tad disappointed with the temperature of my CPU (obviously I was hoping for less) and decided to add a second Panoflo 120mm fan to my radiator. I ended up with one fan pushing air and the second pulling air with the radiator sandwiched between the two. What a difference! I dropped an additional 4°C off my CPU temperature and that's probably why I didn't see much of an increase when I added the GPU's to the loop.

Thats an interesting method, but in general I think we will stick with the Green/Black trick because it involves no changes to the PSU and is recommended by the boys over at OCZ....

Thanks for sharing that method...

I always wondered why nobody (especially watercooling companies) made some plug you could just put over the end of the 24-pin cable...it'd cost all of $5, if that.